Unbelievable - how does this happen?
So since I have the attention of some expert installers I thought I would ask about installing some south facing windows. They are currently Viking and virtually have no weatherstrip. The draft is not really the issue since I live in a mild climate but noise goes through them like they are open and lots of heat gain.

So on the door, the hard part was making and installing the custom trim. I was thinking that you only need a couple of inches or so to access the fin so perhaps I don't need to remove all of the trim pieces in their entirety, only the ones marked X and for the others strike a chalk line and cut as straight as possible. The after install, cut new trim pieces to replace the cutouts. Those eyebrows have to made from pieces and I did that on the door but perhaps I can avoid most of that - I had to make a template and cut, glue together pieces. It was actually not as hard as I expected but time consuming. Also matching that texture is not easy, I think they sprayed it on so less area to match will be easier.

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm no pro but I would guess the replacement window folks have figured out how to do that from the inside only.  I'm not sure how they cut away the window from the nailing flange, if that's what the originals actually had, but I'll bet they have a way of doing it.  My Pella replacement windows had clips that fit into grooves on the outside of the frames and could be nailed/screwed to the rough opening on the inside.  The only work on the outside of mine was installing the aluminum trim pieces, which covered where the original wood trim was.  In your case, outside work shouldn't be necessary.  

I'll be interested in what the real pros have to say.  

John
(11-28-2022, 10:07 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I'm no pro but I would guess the replacement window folks have figured out how to do that from the inside only.  I'm not sure how they cut away the window from the nailing flange, if that's what the originals actually had, but I'll bet they have a way of doing it.  My Pella replacement windows had clips that fit into grooves on the outside of the frames and could be nailed/screwed to the rough opening on the inside.  The only work on the outside of mine was installing the aluminum trim pieces, which covered where the original wood trim was.  In your case, outside work shouldn't be necessary.  

I'll be interested in what the real pros have to say.  

John

Saw that in the install docs, they call it flush flange I believe for arid climates. The instructions call for complete removal of original window, cutting the flange and smearing caulk in the gap between framing and stucco and clips as you said. But it seems that it requires an extension on the exterior trim top and bottom where it overlaps the stucco and caulk is applied to perimeter. I really dont have room for this due to the exterior trim. It does say you can trim the overlap though as shown in pictures. 

Your lucky to have quality replacement windows, I don't think I have been in a house with good windows. On my house they went all out with the insulation including 1" exterior foam under the stucco. Then they install Viking windows - brain dead. An in-law of mine replaced all windows with nail fin, removing stucco but the replacements were vinyl. Not sure that makes sense given the massive labor, might as well go with pocket. In the so so neighborhoods you will see many houses with the unpainted stucco around the windows and I suppose the budget did not allow a timely repaint.

Attached Files Image(s)