Tips for Searching the Forums
I think threads expire after 1 year of inactivity. Some sections of the forumare less than that (swap and sell 30 days and off topic 7 days?)
Rick

Believe you are right. Just hoping that older threads were archived and we were able to access them. There is a lot of good information that has expired.

Thanks
John M said:

Believe you are right. Just hoping that older threads were archived and we were able to access them. There is a lot of good information that has expired.

Thanks

Agreed, there are a lot of posts that get duplicated over the years and while new tools make old posts obsolete, general woodworking tips are almost never obsolete.
To the administrators:

Why is it that I spend so much time trying to search items on this forumn? You think you might clean-up this page so it's a bit clearer--get to the points quickly and consisly--as I don't like to spend 5 minutes sorting through posts/testing to figure out how to do a search for "Dremel"

This appears to be an archaic search function. Sorry for the rant!
Search for

+dremel -Re:

in subject only

newer than 2 years

easy as pie- seven results

what's the prollem?
ajvigants said:

Does anyone know if there are plans for the site to support RSS feeds? Or maybe it already does and I am missing something.

Bump because I was wondering this myself.

Jeff
I'm not understanding the logic behind the date range. Can someone explain how it works?

New then Older then???

What do I enter if I want to search from today back one year?
Or something that I know was 9 months ago?

Do I use both fields?
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear brighter until you hear them speak.

Let me state it again,

There will be no
duplication of work! - By order of the Office of Redundancy Office
The first scenario you propose- search newer than 1 year.

the 9 months ago thing... I'd search newer than 10 months and older than 8 months.

then again if you know that much specifics about it, you should be able to remember enough keywords and user's name that a date range that specific wouldn't be necessary.
This is my first view of this forum and if I understood the flavor of this thread correctly I hope I never ask what by some opinion is a stupid question. And BTW, my memory is not what it used to be. Please forgive me in advance.
Keith,

I suspect, then, that you misunderstood the flavor. My first reply was sarcastic in an effort to alleviate the apparent apprehension by the user to whom I responded. I intended to portray a sense of easygoing lightheartedness, hence the slapstick misspelling of "problem."

I guess in my second post you take issue with:

"then again if you know that much specifics about it, you should be able to remember enough keywords and user's name that a date range that specific wouldn't be necessary."

And I can assure you I wasn't challenging the validity of his problem. I did mean exactly what I said. If he remembered a post was exactly nine months ago, then the chances are good he remembers the topic pretty well. In that case, it is much more effective to search using key words than specifying date ranges. There are a lot of posts in a month, but probably not that many that include, say, "+mahogany +shellac +heirloom +nightstand -Re:"
You can turn an awful lot of stuff on that lathe. Or, if you are like me, you can turn a lot of awful stuff on it. -clovishound