My new updated crosscut sled (pics)
I've been toying with some new ideas for my sled ever since I made the last one. Getting together with TwoBye last week to build his gave me the mental push I needed to go ahead and make a new updated version.

Here's the new one and I'll explain the upgrades but the basics first: Sled base is 3/4" Baltic Birch Ply. All other wood is some Paduak I had out in the tent. Tracks are all from Incra.

Ok, here's an over all shot. Pretty much the same layout as the old one.

Now....... some of the improvements I decided to make with this one.

First...... I've almost completely cut through the safety block on my old one. All the little cuts into the block every day gradually make it through. For this sled, I made the safety block moveable. When I start to cut through it I'll slide it over for a fresh spot. When I don't have any fresh spots left, I can simply install a new one.

The zero clearance inserts are still here, but I've added a moveable section of the fence to allow for a constant ZCI at the rear of the cut as well. In this pic, I have the 1/2" insert in and the fence section is locked into place to match the cutting path.

I don't cross cut a ton of large pannels so the distance from fence to fence hasn't changed on this version, but I was always finding myself needing to move the stop block further to the left than I had fence to move it. I also didn't want a super long sled, so I added a telescoping section to the fence. Normally I have 22" to the left of the blade - but with the fence section extended I now have up to 36" to the left. There's a hex bolt tucked down through the upper scale that locks the lower one in place..

I added a secondary hold down t-track as well. Now one on each side of the blade. The track on the left is closer to the blade than on my old sled because the hold down wasn't reaching some pieces.

Lastly, I added a miter fence. I may not use it much becuse I alredy have a good Incra, but figured the ability to keep things on the sled might be worth while. There's a threaded insert that one end of the fence attaches to.

The other end of the fence is guided by a T-slot. The T-bolt for the knob can be removed at an opening near the rear fence.

With the shorter front fence I have almost 90* of swing for the miter fence. If I end up using it a bunch, I'll add a stop block to it.

So there it is........ my latest sled. I really enjoy making jigs for the shop and my sleds have become a sort of "flag ship" for me..

Thanks for taking a look. Now it's time to start planing for the next one.
MM - you take sled making to an artform. That is absolutely fantastic.

OBTW - can I have your old one?

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Why isn't this in TS&S? I'm sure you'd end up with plenty of orders for these if you ever started building them for us
I'll pay shipping cost for mine

PS
That is one awesome sled. Leave mine the same design as yours, I can stain it myself
nice sled Mark
I need to make one myself, not quite as elaborate tho, gotta work up to that
I have just 1 question
what did you use to finnish the Padauk
I can't seem to keep the original colour
BLO or anything I have turns it a deep red
it's pretty, but not what I want right now
For The Love Of Wood
great work!

is it common to have the bulk of the sled to the left of the blade? Some reason I made the bulk of mine to the right, and always use it as such.. stop block extend out to the right side.. feels perfectly natural.. ??

I'm surprised you didn't add horizontal tracks (parallel to both front and rear fences) so that you could have a precisely adjustable ZCI rather than multiple inserts with the dowel ;-)

(just kidding, though that is an idea I suppose!)
That's a beauty. When are you starting to take orders?

One question about the safety block. Why don't you make it so part of the safety block hangs down below the surface of the saw table so it will stop the sled before the blade could go all the way through?
very nice....when you feel the need to improve on this one I'd like to be first in line to buy it

Doug
Quick, Cheap and Good...pick two.
stav said:

One question about the safety block. Why don't you make it so part of the safety block hangs down below the surface of the saw table so it will stop the sled before the blade could go all the way through?

That would prevent his fence and workpieces from ever making it to the blade
Mark,

Awesome! As I'm getting ready to build my first CC sled, I've been studying the various postings and really love your designs. This looks like a marvelous upgrade. And stylish too!

The ZCI s you use are a key feature I want to incorporate in my first build. But I don't understand exactly how you do it. Any comments you'd care to give would be a big help.

Thanks,
Hal