My new updated crosscut sled (pics)
Mine looks like crap now, thanks
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
"i think twobye's is hocking his in the Swap n Sell, under the heading "Outdated Crosscut Sled, last years model"

Not a bad idea! Thanks.....

Brad
'TwoBye'

Quality is not expensive, it's PRICELESS
WOW, you are to crosscut sleds what Routerman is to Router fences. Truly a work of art.
2 Quick questions for you

1) Did you laminate the formica (I am guessing that is
what was used on the top) to the bottom of the sled as well?

2) Also interested in what you used as a finish the Paduak that did not darken it very much.
Man, your sled is nicer than my normal work.

Michael
That is pretty impressive Mark!

It sure sounds like you could be making some bucks here if you wanted to.
John

Chisel And Bit
Custom Crafted Furniture
john626fry@gmail.com

That's first class, Mark. You're gonna screw around and end up rich and famous someday! In the meantime, you'll just have to settle for the humble admiration of Woodnetters.

Tim
Thanks everyone !! I'm pretty pleased with it.

Sorry it took me till now to answer questions. I had family over and couldn't get away (as much as I tried)

Ok...... the sled took a day to build. (not including the time I had in waiting for the glueups.) If I had had 8/4 stock there wouldn't have been any down time.

I really wouldn't call it a "finish", but I did wet a rag with Waterlox Sealer and gave everything a wipe down. After that dried to the touch, I threw on some paste wax. That's it. It may darken more yet. It did initially turn very dark red (looked like blood wood) for about an hour or so then turned lighter again as the waterlox soaked in.

I don't have any plans for these...... Each one has just been a "go for it" project. Not even sure I could draw up plans. That would require measuring everything.

I can make these for other members. If truly interested, PM me.

Brad, I guess it's like buying a car. As soon as you finally get one - the new models roll out. Sorry man.
Beautiful!

Thanks for showing us.

George
Sorry, missed a question.... No, I only add the laminate to the top. It's not really needed, but spilled items like shellac, stain, paint etc wipe right off rather than soaking into the ply. Well... and I just like the clean look of the formica.

BTW........ I just listed my old sled in the S&S. Also taking orders for new custom sleds to anyone interested. Wood / formica choices and the number of features will determine prices so please PM me if interested. Sorry, you guys buy wood so you know I can't just lay down a "standard" price.
obviously, that's an incredible sled.

issues i've had are that when the back fence isn't about the same as the front fence, the sled tends to lift out of the miter slots if you're loading wide stock. does your fence incorporate any features to prevent this?
Un-funny Signatures are Signatures Too