CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure
pampine said:

There are usually costs associated with massive storage.

Pam

Usually. But with Evernote, thus far there have been no costs.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
cputnam said:

[blockquote]pampine said:

There are usually costs associated with massive storage.

Pam

Usually. But with Evernote, thus far there have been no costs.

[/blockquote]

Not disputing that at all. I was talking about the apparent reluctance of the forum to hold big archives; even though it's a little disconcerting to know threads disappear after a year.

Pam
pampine said:

Not disputing that at all. I was talking about the apparent reluctance of the forum to hold big archives; even though it's a little disconcerting to know threads disappear after a year.
Pam

Hi Pam;

This thread being an excellent example, what we do is what you see here, somebody will decide a thread is a keeper and mark it as a "favorite thread" so it is always on their own forum home page. Then they will check back on it from time to time and when a year is about up, bump it back to life..

It is really not a problem... and the 99.9% of also-rans are not cluttering up anybody's 'puter... and I will say again, I would be amazed if this thread was not already archived on Cian's 'puter... as are most of the older "important" threads...
Skip

Life is funny. I have been away from this forum for YEARS.... I haven't read or posted anything on this site for a very long time. I searched through my memory bank to remember my password, popped onto the hand tool forum and this thread is still active after all these years. Crazy... I really enjoyed seeing the pictures of the progress, again...
There are three kinds of people in this world. Those that can count and those that can't.
pampine said:

Pam

Given that this forum doesn’t host media (all pictures need to be linked to another service where they are hosted, like Picasa, Flickr, or, God forbid, Photobucket), that means that the forum database is pretty much text. So unless the forum is running off of 1990’s-era hard drives, storage space should be cheap enough to archive threads for more than a year.
Hail St. Roy, Full of Grace, The Schwarz is with thee.
Blessed art thou among woodworkers, and blessed is the fruit of thy saw, dovetails.
Holy St. Roy, Master of Chisels, pray for us sharpeners now, and at the hour of planing.
Amen.
$300 is a lot of Money!
giant Cypress: Japanese tool blog
Wilbur Pan said:

Pam

Given that this forum doesn’t host media (all pictures need to be linked to another service where they are hosted, like Picasa, Flickr, or, God forbid, Photobucket), that means that the forum database is pretty much text. So unless the forum is running off of 1990’s-era hard drives, storage space should be cheap enough to archive threads for more than a year.

[/blockquote]

Seconded. Heck, I'll even buy the drives if that's all they need.
Never understood the 1yr expiration.
"The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me." -Tony Konovaloff
"Have nothing in your house which you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris
kompera said:

[blockquote]Wilbur Pan said:

Pam

[/blockquote]

[/blockquote]

Ditto.

I can't help but think of all the content that has been lost with the ridiculous 1 year expiration....
chris
doobes said:

[blockquote]kompera said:

[blockquote]Wilbur Pan said:

Pam

[/blockquote]

[/blockquote]

Ditto.

I can't help but think of all the content that has been lost with the ridiculous 1 year expiration....

[/blockquote]

Probably just more of a maintenance head ache. So far no one has gotten the ban hammer for bumpin stuff into eternity

Their sandbox, their rules.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
forum software is usually organized as a database, so the bigger it is, the worse the performance. This forum seems a little draconian about deleting old threads, but it's not a horrible idea. Another forum I'm active on keeps everything, but people hate responding to old threads and then realizing the issue in the first post was answered years ago.
Time to bump this one again.

Beautiful bench build with lots of lessons-learned and contributions from others.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.