CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure
mpphoto said:

.....darn you CedarSlayer! Now I have a lathe....... Michael

Hey Michael;

Bob -CedarSlayer - influences me strongly too - but no lathe yet...

Between him and Josh - all the swap clubs' turnings should be covered...

Hey CT;

Excellent Bench(work)!!!

Enjoy the lathe...
Skip

mpphoto said:

.....darn you CedarSlayer! Now I have a lathe....... Michael

Skip J. said:

.... no lathe yet...

Mwwwa Haaaa Haaa Haaa!
------ As CedarSlayer strokes his large, evil looking, long haired, cat.

Bob
toolmakingart.com

When you have eliminated all unnecessary wood, then whatever remains, however well formed, is too small to serve as originally intended.
Skip J. said:

Bob -CedarSlayer - influences me strongly too - but no lathe yet...

Uh huh....
give it time Skip, give it time

Michael
I just got a chance to weigh my bench top. It comes in at exactly 105 lbs. I expected it would be more.

The vises will add 35-40# probably, and the base will probably only add another 40. So that would bring it up to maybe 180. Cabinets would probably be, I don't know... another 30?

It might just barely top 200. I was hoping it would be heavier. Or do you suppose 200 is good enough?
Turning impaired.
Crooked Tail said:

Here is the top all glued up. From the front side:

I like how you capped/finished off the end of the doghole row which will be presented to the tail vise face. Very nice.
Crooked Tail said:

Cabinets would probably be, I don't know... another 30?

30 pounds seems light for cabinets with stuff in them.
Lookin real good!

Michael
30lbs would be light for my cabinets alone (each )
mike
I ain't a Communist, necessarily, but I've been in the red all my life
Crooked Tail said:

I just got a chance to weigh my bench top. It comes in at exactly 105 lbs. I expected it would be more.

The vises will add 35-40# probably, and the base will probably only add another 40. So that would bring it up to maybe 180. Cabinets would probably be, I don't know... another 30?

It might just barely top 200. I was hoping it would be heavier. Or do you suppose 200 is good enough?

Hey Ct;

Interesting math... you're top is not representative of weight because the wide boards are not 3" or 4" thick laminated. So for it's appearence - it's lighter weight. For ease of assembly - that's a good thing.

I think by the time you get done with the base and the rest you'll be more like 300 lbs than 200 - and then with loaded cabs you're looking at 400 plus. I'd say keep on truckin', you're doin' fine... (that's a high compliment by the way)....
Skip

Skip J. said:

I'd say keep on truckin', you're doin' fine... (that's a high compliment by the way)....

... and the proper response would be,
"that's a 10-4 good buddy"

Michael
IIRC, my bench weighs in at a bit under 200 pounds. Never had any problems with it moving. Of course, it is currently on carpet, so we are not exactly talking about a low friction surface. I also have a ouple of tool boxes underneath.

I've seen a post where someone put some black rubberish stuff on the bottom of their legs to help create friction. Worse case scenario you could do that.

mark