CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure
That is one!
mike
I ain't a Communist, necessarily, but I've been in the red all my life
FordPrefect said:

Have you considered a plane till?

Why... whatever for? As you can see, I already have one.

Actually, I have, especially after reading Domenic's posts. The problem is I gotta get rid of some of those tubs so that I can actually get to the wall to hang a till / tool cabinet. The problem with getting rid of the tubs is that they contain brewing equipment, and after reading of Josh's brew-for-tools trades, I think perhaps I should keep them. The problem with keeping them is I'm so busy woodworking that I don't have any time to brew stuff.

*sigh* I've got problems.
Turning impaired.
Crooked Tail said:

The problem with getting rid of the tubs is that they contain brewing equipment, and after reading of Josh's brew-for-tools trades, I think perhaps I should keep them. The problem with keeping them is I'm so busy woodworking that I don't have any time to brew stuff. *sigh* I've got problems.

Hello CT;

As one happy "Josh tradee" waiting his turn... if you can brew like Josh, you can greatly reduce your tool acquisition problems... need some locals to trade with tho, that stuff is too heavy to pay shipping on...
Skip

OK, since I officially finished my Christmas shopping at 9AM this morning, I got a little time to work on my workbench cabinets. I cleaned up the long edges, and made sure everything is the same width and nice and parallel. I haven't squared off the ends yet, because I'm hoping there is a LA jack plane somewhere under that tree to help me with the end grain.

But since the long edges are done, I can start in on the grooves and dados. Here is the back groove. It will hold the *coughpegboardcough* that will be the back of the shallow cabinets at the rear of the bench. That leaves room for 13.5" deep drawers on the front.

Here's the first through-groove on the bottom of the cabinet. Unfortunately it didn't occur to me at first to make a fence for the router plane, so it's a little bit rough. (Is this what you'd call a "routah jig?") The grooves on the sides will be stopped grooves, and I'll lay out the dovetails accordingly.

This picture also shows that it's time to get me some holdfasts!

The next step after the grooves is to cut the dado to hold the central divider between the two sets of drawers. I'm still pondering whether to put the divider right in the middle, or to put it more to the left, so that the drawers on the right will be long enough to store my planes, including the No. 7. I think a separate plane till would be handier.

Merry Christmas!
Turning impaired.
Very nice work, CT.
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter!
I just found this thread for some reason. And I don't care what anybody thinks but i think with all the photos CT's adventure would make an excellent article for one of the mags. FWW sure could use something. And since CS's workbench book is just out it would look good in his Woodworking Mag.
I just wish after all these years I could get through a project with as few mistakes. And with all hand tools too! Maybe PW could put it in Arts and Mysteries.

As far as Neilson Ratings it gets 100%
Courage to be lonely
TNWoodwright said:

As far as Neilson Ratings it gets 100%

I agree - every new thread I start I shamelessly copy CT's style of format... of course I asked permission first!!!
Skip

Skip,

As I recall you actually begged forgiveness rather than seeking permission

Ted
Crooked Tail said:

<snipped>
But since the long edges are done, I can start in on the grooves and dados. Here is the back groove. It will hold the *coughpegboardcough* that will be the back of the shallow cabinets at the rear of the bench.

*Pegboard* BUSTED!!!

Crooked Tail said:

<snipped>
I'm still pondering whether to put the divider right in the middle, or to put it more to the left, so that the drawers on the right will be long enough to store my planes, including the No. 7. I think a separate plane till would be handier.

I suggest you put it to one side or the other but avoid the middle. The narrower drawers can be shallower and you may be able to squeeze in an extra. It can be difficult getting that divider perfectly equal on either side, and if it's off, you'll have two sets of almost identical drawer parts to keep track of while you're building them.

I do second your idea of keeping hand planes out of the drawers. A till is a lot handier and you can view the whole arsenal at once.
Bob Zajicek
Marietta, GA
Owner Czeck Edge Hand Tool
http://CzeckEdge.com

Ted C said:

Skip, As I recall you actually begged forgiveness rather than seeking permission Ted

Ahhh well Ted;

You could'a gone all day without mentioning that...

Actually, it was bit shameless on my part, some of it was beforehand (asking), but some was after-the-fact, which induced guilt-motivation or whatever you call it...

Frankly, this is one of the most "successful" threads of the past year, and direct copying is acceptable as complimentary in Texas!!!!

Fortunately, my "southernism's" style of wording will never be mistaken for CT's!!!!
Skip