Last Reindeer post till next Christmas.....I swear!! (Pic heavy)
(12-16-2021, 08:46 AM)mbuker Wrote: For those who have made these reindeer, how did you finish them? In reading through the posts some recommended dipping into a quick drying lacquer. If you dip did you use a brad nail or small tack with a string or wire attached to hang until dry? Did you have any problems with the lacquer drying to fast in the bulk container while doing this? I have about 40 reindeer cut out and looking at the easiest and quickest way to finish them. Thanks for any advice anyone has regarding this.

Mike

I typically just put a 1# coat of shellac on them (just dunked this herd my in a jar of shellac and immediately pulled it out) and then wax them a couple of times.  Not the strongest of finishes protection wise but relatively quick.  

I’m not sure that the dunking is the brightest of ideas up I made sure to pick them up and move them after they set for a few minutes so they wouldn’t stick or get globs at the bottom.  I’ve brushed the shellac on in the past but dunking this year’s herd was the easiest way for me to go.  Usually I only make a few but this year was different.

Never tried lacquer so can’t comment on that.
Haven't made a whole lot of them over the years.
But as I recall, I just set them on a newspaper and shot
em with some spray lacquer.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Bump...................
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Believe it or not, getting ready for a fall craft fair with proceeds to benefit Ukraine refugees. I made several of these last year for friends and family, pretty basic using combinations of pine and cedar 2x4s with a little walnut for the nose and hooves. Sprayed with a few coats of satin poly (lots of drips to cleanup this way though). Was wondering if there might be other ways to decorate them and what others have done. I’m not very creative but I’m sure some creative folks here have used some novel ways to dress these up.
I would Welcome any suggestions.
(06-08-2022, 04:33 PM)tom_mackenzie Wrote: ........ I’m sure some creative folks here have used some novel ways to dress these up.
I would Welcome any suggestions.

Nick Engler has a YouTube channel where he posted a variation on the reindeer concept.  He begins with a glue-up of light and dark woods that results in the hooves, nose and antlers being a different color than the body. 

I haven't tried this yet but it's on my to-do list for this fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W335wRyLLiY

Mike