Restoring an Old Electrical Motor
Well reading this thread has been the most enjoyable time I have spent in a long time. Absolutely loved every facet of it. Amazing.
Thanks,
David
Wow...thanks so much for posting this. I have almost exactly the same motor on my lathe. It runs fine, but after 45 minutes of solid run time, it starts getting really, really warm.

Should I take it apart and start cleaning up? Maybe repack the bearing grease?
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

K. L, McReynolds said:

Another wat to remove a bearing from a blind casting.

Get/make a hardwood or steel punch the sane size(.003" smaller) than the inside race diameter. Get a blob of thick grease. Pack the grease in the bearing hole and fill the cavity behind the bearing.

Stick the punch in the bearing, tap with a hammer. Non compressible grease forces the bearing out.

Glad I found this thread. I did another WT motor this weekend and didn't have my blind puller along. Couldnt find a dowel the right size so I used a drill bit shaft.....using a block of wood to not hurt the point when I hammered on it.
Buck

Business Meetings - None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Bump to continue along with its companion drill press thread.
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
skizzo said:

Bump to continue along with its companion drill press thread.

I have an old GE motor. I thought it needed a new cord. But when I took it apart I see it needs more than that. It has 5 wires (black, green, yellow, blue, and brown) and a 4 post terminal plate. The number 1 terminal post is missing. I'm not sure how they should to connect to a new cord. I asked around town and searched online, nothing definite, then your thread came up in a search and I was so impressed I had to register here so I can contact you. I'm sure you are the guy who can help. Will you help Skizzo?
Without reading the entire thread, there is another way to get a sealed bearing out of a closed housing.

All that is needed is a metal(or hard wood) punch just smaller than the inside diameter of the bearing , some gear grease, and a hammer.

Pack the grease in the cavity behind the bearing, insert the punch and hit with hammer.
Thanks for your rebuilding threads. Almost gives me the courage to tackle my own project.
I'm far from the only person who can try to help. But regardless, the first place to start is to show some photos of your motor. It would be helpful if you could show the data plate (if there is one), plus the wires and the terminal plate. We really need a starting point to see what you're working with.

As an aside, could you please start a new thread about your motor so that it doesn't take this one off into a different discussion about a different item? We'll be glad to see if we can get you back and running.
Bill
Bump for a new year.
Bill
Bill,

You pointed me towards your drill press post several weeks back, and I first saw this thread referenced in that thread. I learned a lot by going through it, and I bookmarked it. You did an excellent job in the documentation and I thank you for that.

I opened up my 3/4 hp Delta Marathon motor (for the 17" drill press) yesterday to clean it out and replace the bearings, and fix a loose wire. I started a thread about it on the electrical forum at owwm.

I wish I had thought to re-read your motor thread as a refresher before opening my motor. I forgot to match-mark the end bells on the center housing! I also found that some of the questions I had posted on my owwm thread are answered right here in your thread. Using the socket to install the bearings on the shaft is ingenious.

I was going to pull the bearings out of the end bells tonight to take final measurements for re-ordering, but I think I will delay that and verify I can reassemble before further disassembly, and then match-mark the pieces.

One detail that is not clear to me - I can see that the bearings are pressed onto the shaft. Are the bearings also pressed into the end bells, or is it more of a snug fit into the end bells? I have been struggling with envisioning this part of the reassembly process.

Thanks.
Steve