Duncan Phyfe Dining Table in progress
I finished all of the cross banding. I do need to bring my real camera out with me soon as the blackberry pictures lack warmth.

The table top was placed side by side and marked for the spots for the alignment "teeth" that will align the top when putting the table or leaves together. Think of this as a Festool Domino. I am just making them.

The "teeth" will be glued into one mortise of each piece forming a "male" end and there will be a corresponding "female" mortise on the other pieces' edge. The "female" mortises are 1/8" wider to allow for easier assembly.
The mortises are cut using a mortise pal. They are 1/4" x 3/4 (+1/8 for the females).

After the mortises were completed, the edges of all table top pieces were routed to form a triple bead. This was done in a few passes using various bearings. This was an important moment to me. Now it is looking like a table top, not just a big board. Under the triple bead, I will hand plane the edge thickness to 7/8. The thickness will taper back about 5-6 inches. The boards are 1 1/8" overall, but the edge should be "light" and the taper should be non-noticeable. This will take some time.

This created A LOT of dust.

I have a week of vacation from work this week, so i expect to make progress.

-Wayne
wow massive table cant wait to see it finished
learning from my mistakes and at this rate i should be ready for my doctorate

jack607 said:

#1 Never, never wait till you need a tool to buy it!

Today, I turned my attention to the underside of the table and the stretchers that will support the top. Traditionally, these are in place to HELP the top maintain flatness. They are not the attachment method for the top.

If you are interested in a true traditional build, now would be the time to look away.

Still here? OK, let's discuss some modern modifications i am making.

Typically, the top is attached to another big piece of wood and that piece is doweled or screwed to the pedestals. The stretchers are non integral and just provide thickness to help maintain flatness. Of course, if the top wants to cup, bow (go wonky) it is going to do so, and very little will stop that.

I realize what i just said is true. Still, if i can help maintain flat i will try to do so.

I have built my fair share of guitars. I would never think of making a neck without a truss rod.

Think of what i a showing as a truss rod for the top.

Here is the 8/4 wood for the stretchers:

Next I lay out what the ends will look like when shaped:

Then it occurs to me....why is this piece of wood shorter than this piece of steel? I curse a bit and cut a piece of wood that is 45" long... not 35" long.

I saw off about 1/4" of the outside edge of each piece. At this point I should saw that the Laguna Kerf King (not resaw king) blade is a marvel. I re-sawed each of these pieces in about 15 seconds a piece. Seriously!!! That blade moves some wood. I have some resaw king blades too, but the kerf king at 2tpi is FAST.

Using router table and chisel I excavate for the steel. The steel here is 1/4" x 1.5" x 36".

I do the same for all 6 pieces.

A bit of 5 minute epoxy is put under each piece of steel. Then using plastic resin glue i put the wood back together and put it in the vacuum bag.

Will this really help? I don't know. Time will tell. Still, I had a good time being clever.

More later today.
I really appreciate your honesty with yourself. ("will it work, I don't know, but I enjoyed being clever") Brought a smile to my face. Keep us posted. Ray
I finished the long stretchers
You can see the channels the bolts will ride in. They will be covered by applied *****-beading. I don't mind using modern methods, but they have to be invisible in the final product.

on their sides:

The tip of one.

Here you get the idea of how they will be placed under the top.

Tomorrow I will work on the attachment to the pedestal. I will most likely use ***GASP*** plywood ***GASP*** . More on that later.
Nice looking table, anxious to see the finished project.

Thanks for posting !

Steve

Wow!
awesome!

i cringe at all that hand planing with a #8.

i did my table which is 40" x 66" that way... it took about a week.

Posted by thooks 1/23/08:

Dang!!!

You actually do have a brain! I'm tellin Fred.

My Shop
Now that's a project! Wow, those were some *large* boards. This should be one striking table once complete. How large is the room that this will reside in exactly?

Awesome build along - thanks for the pictorial!

michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
MichaelS said:

How large is the room that this will reside in exactly?

Now dont ask that, that might ground me.

The truth is I DO NOT have a home anywhere near nig enough to even add 1 leaf. The table when normally assembled will be 8' x 52". That will fit in my dining room which is 18' x 18'.

One day I may have enough space, so I am building it as big as it could be. The future will tell if the extra effort was wise or foolish. The truth is it's probably both.