Disston Saw Handle Finishes
I'm doing a saw re-hab project on four different Disston saws. It's really interesting and fun to compare the saws, handles, wood and finishes on all of these. Adds another dimension to a re-hab project. But I have a question that you saw experts can "handle", I'm sure. Here are the subject handles, with labels indicating the saw they came from. I made the picture big on purpose (apologies for making you scroll ).

I tested mineral spirits and denatured alcohol on all four. The only one with a reaction was the #77 backsaw handle, which got gummy when in contact with the alcohol, which means it has a shellac finish. The other three did not seem to react much at all. I figure the D-112 handle didn't have much finish left to react, so that kinda made sense.

But the two more recent saws, the D-42 and D-15, both Victory saws, didn't react to either mineral spirits or denatured alcohol. The finish on both has flaked off in some areas, but what remains is hard and very well attached. It has a kind of crinkled look to it, which makes me think shellac, but I don't think it is. In some areas it has a gold sheen to it, mostly on the edge of the handles. In general, this old finish is ugly, mottled, and masks the grain of the wood. So it's coming off, one way or another.

I prefer gentler methods, but I don't want to use commercial strippers as they often leave discolorations and blotches. I'll use sandpaper if I have to, but only as a last resort. Any ideas from you saw handle finish experts? What is the finish, and what's the best way to remove it without causing damage? NOTE: These will be user saws!
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
This post might help you a little on your questions.

Old post

Take care,
Daryl
Old Saws Restored
Take care,
Daryl
Thanks Daryl. I did a search but didn't find that. Looks like it's off to the borg for some lacquer thinner.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
Daryle and Matt,

When using the stripping solutions, does it change the color of the wood to some degree compared to removing the old finish using mechanical means? In other words, not getting the wood wet with chemicals of various kinds? Do the chemicals soak into the wood to the extent that the wood color is changed permanently? Probably not a question regarding dark wood such as Rosewood for example, but more so for light colored wood such as Beech and some of the lighter colored Applewood.

I've used paint strippers on handles that were painted, but boy what a messy process. Still had to dink around getting the paint out of the tight corners and crevices and especially the wheats by means of scraping and brushing. The surface of the wood would be soft and wet and required a couple days to dry out. And it raised the grain that then needed to be sanded.

I have concluded that scraping the majority of the old finish off using a box cutter blade is quick and clean and more controlled. I end up with wood that looks and feels like the original. Some sanding for smoothness is also required.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
I agree with you that scraping is a sure way to remove the old finish and smooth out the surface. That's what I did with a recent refurb on a 12" Disston Backsaw

And some guy I know has been using offering card sized scrapers that work PERFECT for this application.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Dom,

And that guy who is offering card size scraper material is YOU! I saw your ad here in Woodnet yesterday. I found it on page 3 in the Swat & Sell forum. Do you have an endless supply of the various thicknesses of spring steel or is there a limited supply? Looks like you are doing a bang up business. Not a bad price for a saw plate that has it's teeth punched in per customer specifications. I like that. Now I'm feeling tempted to make another back saw. I'm thinking about making one so the handle can be mounted on either end of the blade so it can be used as a pull saw in certain situations. Whataya think? Dumb idea?
Catchalater,
Marv

― Maya Angelou

Dom,

Very nice job you did on that refurb saw. However, that handle is screaming to be wheat carved.

Just so you know, you can buy spray cans of John Deere green at your local John Deere dealer.
Catchalater,
Marv

― Maya Angelou

MarvW said:

Do you have an endless supply of the various thicknesses of spring steel or is there a limited supply? Looks like you are doing a bang up business. Not a bad price for a saw plate that has it's teeth punched in per customer specifications. I like that. Now I'm feeling tempted to make another back saw. I'm thinking about making one so the handle can be mounted on either end of the blade so it can be used as a pull saw in certain situations. Whataya think? Dumb idea?

Not an endless supply. But I have a lot in stock currently. And a 20 ft section off the end of a roll can make a LOT of scrapers! And I got a nice wide assortment of thicknesses.

Now that "push me pull you" backsaw idea has some merits. I'm sure that would help to curtail the "East vs West" saw argument in some respects.

Or make it worse........

See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
That lacquer thinner was just the ticket.....chewed through those old finishes in nothing flat, left a little residue but nothing that won't clean up easy.
mattsworld said:

I swear by Citristrip....you can get it at the borg. Its a low VOC biodegradable stripper that uses citrus extracts instead of Xylene and all the carcinogens. It smells nice, works fast, and you just rinse it with water to clean it up.

Thanks, Matt. I used a little biodegradable RemoveAll stripper to take off a few paint drips, and it left blotchy spots. I'll have to look for the Citristrip.