Brese Plane Kit, First Attempt
Hi Folks,

I´m so lucky to have traded with Ron! I´ve got a plane kit from him, it´s the small smoother "J-style".

The first thing I´ve to say is, that the quality which Ron makes is not to beat! Thank you, Ron! All parts are perfectly done, it´s apure joy to work with them.

After I received the kit, I decided to make a test run on the infills with a turning blank of Walnut. The plane shall get infills of Olive wood, but I´ve only one piece of wonderfully figured Olive wood, what allows only one attempt. So I thought it would be a good idea to make a test run with another wood to get a little experiance.

I bandsawed the blank and planed the rabbets. Sadly I´ve no pictures from that 1st step .

Then I sawed the blanks by hand to the proper angles and cleaned the surfaces with the LV DX 60. This block plane did a terriffic job! The cleaning of the bed on the rear infill has to be done very properly and I was happy to have the LV block plane. It worked perfectly!

The next steps were documented The following pics shows the inserted blanks.

The next step was to round the top slighly.

Now you will see why the layout of the rear infill looked a little weird. I intended to make a protection for the hand to make sure that the hand will not have contact with the sharp edges of the blade while planing.

Then it was time to fit the ends of the infills. At first I sawed the rough contour.

Then the front and rear contours wer sanded on the belt sander.

After that I chamfered the edges on the top of the infills to prepare the rounding of them. The LV Bullnose Plane did a terrific job on this!

Then it was time to round the edges by filing and sanding.

Then the infills were sanded to prepare the finish.

After that they got a coat of BLO.

It was just one coat of BLO so long. The finish will be improved after the BLO is dried. That being said, I assembled the plane to get an impression

That´s the progress so far. I do want to finish those walnut infills perfectly since I don´t know if the Olive wood infills will succeed.

The hand protection is a smaller benefit than I thought, because due to the little depth of the plane, the hand doesn´t lay flat on the top of the rear infill. So I´m not sure if the Olive infill will get this feature. Probably not.

Thanks for looking!

Regards
Klaus
I always love Ron's planes
Great documentation and pics

Please keep them coming.
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
Very nice job on the walnut , I like the twist you did with that rear hand blade guard you fashioned . You did an excellent job of blending . I can hardly wait to see the olive wood version . Out of curiosity when your finished shaping the olive wood infill , how about weighting the woods and compare which is heavier .
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. "HF"
Very nice that is one looking plane I like it very much. Ron is an artist and craftsman who produces a quality product. Then you add your hand work and WOW ! Beautiful plane and workmanship. Great Job !

Thanks for posting !

Steve
Hi Klaus!

Beautiful work. We need to start calling you "The Slope Master". First you push us down the Slope with saws, now you are doing it with planes! Ohoo.... I'm slipping........

Best to you!

-Jerry
Love the idea of the hand guard behind the iron. Someday I will make one of these myself. I may do the same hand guard idea now that I have seen it.

Overall I like the walnut infill you have already. Looking forward to see the olive wood for the difference in overall appearance.

Michael
Klaus, your talents amaze me. Everything that you make is beautiful and functional. Nice job!

I have the same plane, without the hand hold. I do not find a problem. I grip the rear of the plane and, since it cuts so easily and well, I have never found that my hand slides toward the blade.

Joe
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
With your skill in making saw handles, I am not surprised that shaping the wood for the infill would be something you'd do well. The walnut is gorgeous and I can't wait to see how the olive wood looks. I really like the little hump behind the blade, which isn't part of the original design. I really like the look of it even if it isn't as functional as you had thought it might be.

And Ron's J-smoother is a beauty, isn't it?

Blaine
What, no shavings?!?

The walnut looks great, but I can't wait to see the olive wood in there. That's going to look sweet.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Klaus,
That looks really really nice! yes:

I'd be inclined to stick with the walnut! It just looks so GOOD!

I know you mentioned giving it a coat of BLO, but could TruOil be used?
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?