Brese Plane Kit, First Attempt
Blacky's Boy said:

I know you mentioned giving it a coat of BLO, but could TruOil be used?

Having seen what TruOil will do a for a walnut rifle stock, I have to agree with Dominic.
Very nice results and it certainly doesn't look like a first attempt at all. Very accomplished results. Thanks for the photos and clear explanations, I've always wanted to have a go at one of those Brese plane kits, and this will certainly help.

Hmmmm........wonder if Mr. Brese would take one of my saws in exchange for a plane kit......

Granted it lacks a bit (OK, a LOT!!) of the finesse of a Two Lawyers Tools saw....
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for the write-up and the photos.

Art.
Man, that's some precision work! Well done.

And I agree, loose the fingerprotection. It's but ugly.
Actually I thought the " Hand Guard " looked cool and gave it a little something extra wether it is functional or not. Just my $.02

Steve
JerrySats said:

Out of curiosity when your finished shaping the olive wood infill , how about weighting the woods and compare which is heavier .

Thats a good idea. The Olive wood is pretty heavy, it has way more weight than the Walnut. I will weight the plane with those Walnut infills to be able to compare is later to the Olive plane

Klaus
nazard said:

Hi Klaus!

We need to start calling you "The Slope Master". First you push us down the Slope with saws, now you are doing it with planes! Ohoo.... I'm slipping........

-Jerry

Just enjoy the slope, Jerry!

Klaus
KlausK. said:

[blockquote]nazard said:

Hi Klaus!

We need to start calling you "The Slope Master". First you push us down the Slope with saws, now you are doing it with planes! Ohoo.... I'm slipping........

-Jerry

Just enjoy the slope, Jerry!

Klaus

[/blockquote]

Where's the bottom at???
joemac said:

I have the same plane, without the hand hold. I do not find a problem. I grip the rear of the plane and, since it cuts so easily and well, I have never found that my hand slides toward the blade.

Joe

Joe,

as I wrote I had a wrong imagination about how this plane will be held. Could´nt try it before since I´ve never held one in my hands before.

Now, after having assembled the plane, I had to consider that the palm of the hand is at the rear edge of the plane and not flush on the top of the infill as my guess had been.

Regarding this, the hump doesn´t make sense. The comfort would be more improved if the rear edge of the infill would be more rounded, what is a proposal of Ron, too.

The making of the rear infill including this hump is definitely more complicated and time consuming than making one without a hump. So the next infills will be done in the classical way. It was not more than an attempt after all.

Klaus
Blaine said:

And Ron's J-smoother is a beauty, isn't it?

Blaine

Thank you Blaine, I couldn´t agree more. It´s a beauty with high precision, truly amazing!

Klaus