Cedar Strip Canoe build-along
Makes me want to finally build one myself. It's just a big model airplane fuse. Well bigger than the 90" planes I have built. Dunnow what it is but I like that type of constructuon. Take slivers of wood and make something very strong and usable out of it.

Also what's that green stuff on the ground. Looks like this stuff called grass I have heard of. Can't wait till we move east and I can have that stuff too.
Clever,a rolling strong back.

To hold the clothe in place on the inside ,I used clothe pins.
A man of foolish pursuits
So after you clear the stem you begin striping only 1 side allowing the strips to hang over the centerline.

Then you use a string to mark the centerline, rough cut it with a Japanese saw and then use a shoulder plane to come up to the line.

Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
You can then start filling in the strips on the other side.

The last 3 strips are glued together and go in as an assembly and it's painstakingly shaved with the shoulder plane to fit.

For sanding the outside, I was told by a professional fiberglass mold maker, run you hand over the canoe in a X, you will feel better than see.
A man of foolish pursuits
Downwindtracker2 said:

For sanding the outside, I was told by a professional fiberglass mold maker, run you hand over the canoe in a X, you will feel better than see.

True! However a bright light at a low angle is great as you'll see low spots cast shadows.
I went in and fixed all the photos in this thread after the Photobucket disaster.
(10-07-2015, 09:08 PM)Gary™ Wrote:
Downwindtracker2 said:

True!   However a bright light at a low angle is great as you'll see low spots cast shadows.

That's how we look at body work too. I've seen dryawall finishers do it also. A little carbon black dusted on will expose low spots also. Something I learned about sanding curves is to use a rigid flat sanding block... in spite of what our brain tries to tell us.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Gary, you are a talented man!

Well done on the canoe!
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite