Cedar Strip Canoe build-along
The boards were bowed too much to rip on the tablesaw.
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
Gary,

Nice job on the strips, I'm not sure if I'm more impressed by the strips and the work you've done on them, or the fact that you found some time in between all this rain we've been having to actually work with your shop doors open! If this rain keeps up, you might be better off with the canoe than a car.

Love to see the progress, keep the pics coming.

-jason
I have found when ripping strips that if the board is not bowed too sharply they rip fine on a table saw with a nice feather board set up.

Nice job on the strips!

JB

"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"
--Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Cool! I'm currently about 1/3 of the way thru a Prospector 16--also Bear Mountain plans and CanoeCraft book. Right now I'm closing in on finishing the planking (western red cedar as well). I'm updating a thread on the Wooden Boat Forum: MoMan's Prospector. There are a couple of other canoe projects in progress there as well. Good luck and keep us informed!
Here is the jig I'm going to use to scarf the strips on the table saw.  I still need to put on some hand-holds for safety.  Two wedges are used to secure the strip being cut.

Next up is a jig to glue up 10 to 12 scarf joints at a time.

When I was cuting a bunch of 1/8x1/4 stuff and 1/2 strips I just set the fence put on my magnetic featherboards and shoved it through the saw. Started off with a jointed edge and also used a MG splitter. Was using cypress and crap pine which warps really easy but with the saw set up the saw didn't care.
I finished up the scarfing jig and have begun the long process of scarfing the strips.   Here is the jig to cut the scarfs.

And here is the jig to glue up the scarfs.  I have it mounted to the strongback.   It's waxed to keep the strips from sticking to the jig

I've seen those wood clamps on ebay for less than $10!!!!

After two days of effort, the strips are all scarfed to ~16ft length.  Next time I'm doing butt joints during the build     It took longer than I thought it would

They still need to be drum sanded to thickness but I need to get the feature strip done first so I can do them all in the same tool setup.   I did see two scarf joints that slipped during glueup and need to be repaired.

Here they are taped into pairs and in the order (left to right in the pic) they'll go on the canoe from the sheer line.  

I mentioned the feature strip in my last post.  I'm doing a double diamond pattern with walnut diamonds and mahogany separators.  I'll put on a 1/8" strip of pine on with side for contrast.