Cedar Strip Canoe build-along
When making your feature strip, I recommend you make the pine strip 5/8 inch on the bead side since about 1/8 will be hidden by the cove. This will make them appear the same width when stripped.
Why 5/8"? I figure it's 7/32" wide

The beaded side should be 1/8" (visible) + 3/32" (my cove depth) = 7/32" wide. 5/8 is way wider than that?
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
I got careless and read your pine strip as 1/4 not 1/8 and went nuts from there. What I should have said was make your bead side wider to account for the depth of the cove and make the exposed pine equal. Sorry.
Making progress on the feature strip; next time I'll go for a simpler feature strip without so many glue ups.  You can see the double diamond taking shape.  I'm going to let the glue ups cure a day before hitting the drum sander.  After that I can rip them into strips and join the halves together to make a full diamond shape.  

I hand planed the pine accent strip close to the final width; the router table will complete that later.  Did I say lots of hand planing; I love the sound a sharp plane makes.

And yes it's crooked but that will not hurt anything.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'd like you guys to feel free to suggest ways I can improve this thread; I'm trying to include enough details/pics to keep it interesting but not too many that it's boring.
Gary™ said:

I'd like you guys to feel free to suggest ways I can improve this thread; I'm trying to include enough details/pics to keep it interesting but not too many that it's boring.

Keep'em coming! I never get bored watching other work Seriously, you have motivated me to get back to work on my kayak. Started working on the skeg this weekend
JB

"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"
--Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

I'm enjoying the thread. Just documenting your progress and showing how you're doing various steps is wonderful
Bump, any progress?
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
It's been done a while now - see this post http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...er=6001673
Thanks Gary.

You did a beautiful job, and now the posts will stay around for another year.

I must have been out in the woods when the completion thread was posted.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite