Step by step Rosewood tote repair (lots of Pics!)
I ordered the counterbore bit from ENCO. They have a huge selection
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Very nice work and excellent writing and memorializing your process! Thanks for sharing.

The repair to the base was very clever. Did it add much height to the tote? If it did, did you encounter any clearance problems with the underside of the blade?
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
joemac said:

Did it add much height to the tote? If it did, did you encounter any clearance problems with the underside of the blade?

Ah, you noticed that! Tonto have sharp eyes!

I ended up removing about half of that thickness in order to fit "under" the lateral adjustment lever and bring the tote to the same level as a comparable one.
See ya around,
Dominic
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
ONLY COLLECTORS, INTELLIGENT PEOPLE AND PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY KNOW AND UNDERSTAND WHAT A (KING SEELY MADE CRAFTSMAN SAW REALY IS NEED BOTHER TO RESPOND. ALL YOU LOOSERES THAT EMAILED ME AND BEHAVED LIKE MORONS CAN JUST BE A LOOSER SOMEWHERE ELSE PLEASE .
Very artful save there, Dom. I too have been put off by the number of otherwise goods planes that I see, save for the busted wood parts. Your method is the way to go on dings and missing slivers, but a whole new piece is often required. I have made patterns for the two main sizes of totes and knobs. I made a couple of trial pieces out of some air-dried walnut that I saved just for tool handles. Here they are:

Since rosewood from Brazil is not available, would there be a market for something like walnut for totes and knobs? I don't think I would be interested in hand-shaping cocobolo due to the allergy reaction potential.
Mike ....... Personally I think there would be if a tote or knob was beyond repair. I would much rather have a tote and knob made out of Walnut than a butchered up old tote and knob for my users.

Those look really nice.

Thanks for sharing !

Steve
Blacky's Boy said:

..... but I consistently mess up the drilling for the counter bore at the top. The only way I can see to make it full proof is to buy a counterbore bit. And I have one of them on order now.

Man, I hear ya. After making a few totes, and trying to drill the holes with a jury-rigged thing using clamps, strings, rope, rubber bands, etc (I'm exaggerating a little), I finally went out and bought a cross-vice for the drill press. That helped a lot. The counterbore bit is a good idea as well, I'll check out the ENCO site.

Nice save on the tote, you can't even see the repairs. Very nice wood match. I have several broken rosewood totes, I might try some bubinga with stain. The bubinga I have is redder than the originals, but if I work it I might get a decent match, grain is similar.

So here's a question for you. That little divot on top of the toe - the flat spot where the screw goes - how do you carve that? I tried multiple ways to do it by hand, and nothing will fit in that little crook in the tote. Finally did it with the bandsaw.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
You wrote:
"So here's a question for you. That little divot on top of the toe - the flat spot where the screw goes - how do you carve that? I tried multiple ways to do it by hand, and nothing will fit in that little crook in the tote. Finally did it with the bandsaw."

Actually I just used a rasp. The I cleaned it up with a scraper (what else! )
See ya around,
Dominic
Mike Brady said:

Very artful save there, Dom. I too have been put off by the number of otherwise goods planes that I see, save for the busted wood parts. Your method is the way to go on dings and missing slivers, but a whole new piece is often required. I have made patterns for the two main sizes of totes and knobs. I made a couple of trial pieces out of some air-dried walnut that I saved just for tool handles. Here they are:

Since rosewood from Brazil is not available, would there be a market for something like walnut for totes and knobs? I don't think I would be interested in hand-shaping cocobolo due to the allergy reaction potential.

Mike, your walnut totes are quite nice, you did a great job on them. Personally yeah, I think there would be a market out there for replacement and restoration.
ONLY COLLECTORS, INTELLIGENT PEOPLE AND PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY KNOW AND UNDERSTAND WHAT A (KING SEELY MADE CRAFTSMAN SAW REALY IS NEED BOTHER TO RESPOND. ALL YOU LOOSERES THAT EMAILED ME AND BEHAVED LIKE MORONS CAN JUST BE A LOOSER SOMEWHERE ELSE PLEASE .
Bump for a good thread
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite