Step by step Rosewood tote repair (lots of Pics!)
The only thing I don't like in repairs is that you'll always know where the line of glue is or the unseen glue line that you will see every time you look Believe me out the hundred and some infills I have there are a few repairs here and there and even if others can't find them they tend to drive me crazy until I completely replace the whole shebang at some point

It's nice way to spend a few hours in the shop working on planes though and that I can whole heartedly go along with that aspect,but you wait and see you'll be looking at that tote It'll appear in your dreams and you'll loose sleep over it eventually You'll end up in tote therapy and huge bills for all the treatment

Just kiddin ya it's a good job,Len
ex-INFILL MAGNET
I love woodnet, I really do.

But I really wish that good threads, like this one, lived forever. I don't always get a chance to review my "favorite threads" before they disappear into vapor.

Heck, I'd even pay $6, if they'd make the threads last forever!
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
mattsworld said:

Very nice Dom. Btw...I noticed you have one of those black handled rasps from Lee Valley....they are hand cut, right? How do you like it?

It's not too bad. A tad too aggressive for fine work. But it works fine for bulk material removal.

I've recently been on a mission to use my chisels more and coarse rasp LESS. With practice, I've found that I can knock off the corners, and refine the edge easily enough using the chisel and then move right to my saw makers rasp.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
@ Mike Brady: There probably is a market for replacement totes and knobs, since The Best Things sells replacement totes and knobs. Their rosewood looks nice, but I'm guessing you could find a few people who would prefer walnut for one reason or another.

Make a couple and post them in S&S, just to find out what happens. At the right price, I'll bet they'll go pretty quickly.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Martin S. said:

I love woodnet, I really do.

But I really wish that good threads, like this one, lived forever. I don't always get a chance to review my "favorite threads" before they disappear into vapor.

Heck, I'd even pay $6, if they'd make the threads last forever!

Well, if Dominic would hurry up and start a website/blog, then we wouldn't have this problem on this thread.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Thank You these kind of threads has helped me tremendously.

Steve
Very wisely done!
Take care,
Jim

www.jimshaver.com
Hey Dom,

Fantastic job on the repair! I definitely know that repairs can take time but I believe they are worth it in the end.
Take care,
Daryl
Dom

You did an excellent job. Not to be picky, but the bottom does not slope down like the others or are you just beefing it up?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Blacky's Boy said:

Buy charcoal dust? I didn't know you could do that.

There is also an product called activated charcoal (or activated carbon). It is listed by the FDA as an antidote for many poisons that can be ingested into the body. And it is used to help with lower intestinal.........problems.

It is a different product than a charcoal pencil as the carbon has been processed differently. It would still work for staining the epoxy black though. You buy it at natural food stores.

I use it for bee stings and spider bites because when used in a wet compress it helps draw the venom out as well as adsorbing (not absorbing) any bacteria that can cause infection.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".