Old B & W Books and SS
Thanks Dave:
Skip

I have to agree with you.

Books are a treasure. I always wanted to find a really old book and copy some of the pictures out of them and when framed put them up in the shop.

Sometimes I sit and look at my old Stanly 76 bell plane and think of the hands who worked with it and what they made with it.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Hi Arlin;

Good to hear from you again! All of my books are from the 1900's, so I don't think any of the pics in them are anything special.... I think what you are talking about are pictures, or line drawings that look like pictures from books or magazines before 1900....
Skip

DJChurn said:

In my opinion the old FWW series that re-cap their early years in rich B&W are a steal at what they can be had for on Amazon as used books. Recently read an illustrated article on installing a morris-style adjuster in a coffin-plane. The article was not comprehensive but nonetheless provided food for thought.

Well my SS was reading this - and as I posted in that thread - he sent me 4 of these:

Let me tell you, the details of this drawing on the cover that are shown in the article inside are just mind boggling.... There's a lot of articles inside - each with a tremendous amount of detail... not much handtool content tho...
Skip

David,
I bought the first 36 issues of FWW just before Thanksgiving. The style is much different from the current magazine. Some amazing articles and many names that we would all recognize. Each month also has a small section listing sources for materials and supplies - an early version of google! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading them.

Lonnie (Mr Eddie)
I've been thinking this past year that I would let this old thread go.... but then I was at 1/2 Price Books spending some Christmas cash when, you guessed it... I found another book. It is a very detailed book about Japanese blade making.. I'm almost done reading it.

I'll take some photos in a few days and write a post in the near future... but not before this thread would die... maybe it will go away next year...
Skip

I like the use of language in the old books. I don't think language is stilted, as a rule. Language is stilted, or it is not.* I think the average person these days often can't use language, and is unaccustomed to reading materials that employ language. <----my soap box
The Feirer book is excellent.
*James page's 1854 book treating the drawing of acanthus leaves is written in an awful manner. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's good. It's an excellent book with lousy writing.
Hi Paul;

I will admit to the occasional use of modern language myself... so I may not be a good judge of that.

The Feirer book was my favorite for years and I had read it several times and was not reading it any more. Then in the very first Secret Santa I was assigned Walt Q.; and there was no way that I would have or could get anything he didn't already have. So I sent him the book... I hope he liked it... he said it fit in well with his other books.
Skip

Well I never thought I would see the day I would bump my own old thread....... but the pics are showing with the old forum style commands... so I want to see if they show up here too...

Thought I would see if the pics from the old forum would show up here..
Skip

So, my old pic is still showing up...
Skip