Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project
Gosh, if only Dom had an appropriately sized piece of metal lying around his shop...
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Finished sanding the first handle today and then gave it a coat of TruOil.

And wouldn't you know it, once I added the finish I find a couple areas that need touching up. Oh well. It's not as if it was unexpected. The cool thing is that the finish helps to stiffen the end grain a bit and make sanding a tad bit easier.

Klaus,
I remember a while ago you telling me to insert a piece of spring steel in the handles saw slot. Since then I've done that all the time. I even cut a piece to fit inside the slot and not stick out much so it won't interfere with the vise jaws. That's why you don't see it in the other photos. It's there, just hidden. I just use another piece to push it out when I'm done.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Dom, that is mondo purty! Way
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Very correctly sculpted, it's a pure beauty, Dom!

Please forgive me when I'm telling things twice or even more often. It happens rather often that I forget today what I've said yesterday... Getting older has dark sides for sure

Klaus
Another beautiful saw is born.
Thanks for sharing.
I don't get to post much here, but I really admire the skills most of these post highlight.

Adam.
Dom that is one nice looking handle, great job .

Steve
OK, here's another handle I made. It's pattern is from a Disston No7. The wood is Jatoba

I had just finished scraping the areas I could reach and sanding the rest. I MUCH prefer scraping! The surface is superior. But there are some areas you just have to sand. I sanded up to 220 grit.

I just wiped it down with some mineral spirits to clean away the gunk. I also wanted to see how the grain was looking. Wiping it down also reveals the areas that need a touch more work (like at the from of the handle)

I'll probably sand it up to about 400 grit and then give it a coat of TruOil. This cold weather is making that oil finish take forever to dry. And that's on dry domestic hardwoods.

Jatoba is nice and dense and takes a detail well. But it is BRITTLE! So you have to be careful to maintain those nice crisp edges. Overall I'm pretty happy with the results.

Now I just need to start work on the walnut WM&C rip saw handle and then finish that up.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Dom nice job that looks really nice.

Steve
Wow! Nice handle, nicely done. Nice tongue work.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Very nice and it doesn't have any finish yet? If so, it will really pop when you get some Tru-oil on it!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com