Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project
Window Guy said:

Dom nice job that looks really nice.
Steve

cputnam said:

Wow! Nice handle, nicely done. Nice tongue work.

Thanks Steve and Curt!

Tony Z said:

Very nice and it doesn't have any finish yet? If so, it will really pop when you get some Tru-oil on it!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Jatoba has a really great "plum color" to when it's oiled. I'm actually thinking of adding some wheat carving to this. Not sure if that'll happen or not....we'll see....

But I just found out I'm fresh out of TruOil and need to order some more! Looks like I'm placing an order with Amazon today.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Hey Dom,

That is look'n really good...

Is your blade 26 or 28" long on the ripper? Do you anticipate using both hands for long rips? If so, you might give some thought to making the top of the grip hole higher and a little toward the front to make room for a thumb. That's what Disston did with their big rip saw handles. But their big rip saw handles didn't have a lamb's tongue.

Here's an example of one I refurbed... This is the most comfortable rip saw handle I've ever used while using both hands.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
Thanks Marv. That No7 saw handle is for the cross cut saw. I have a WM&C w/Holden patent rip saw handle all ready to go in Walnut for the riper. And it's about 28" long.
See ya around,
Dominic
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Love those Holden handles.... I bought one on eBay a couple months ago just to have one and not have to make it myself.

You are going to end up with some very fine saws there. People are going to be suing you to force you make saws for them.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
I finished shaping the Disston No 7 Crosscut saw handle and gave it the first coat of TruOil today.

I really love the way that the Jatoba looks when oiled.

Since it was nice and dried by now I sanded the finish on the No9 Handle with 600 grit sandpaper and then applied the second coat. I'm thinking that this handle will need about 4 coats.

I was having such a good time that I decided to work on the Wheeler- Madden & Clemson (w/Holden patent) Thumbhole Rip handle. I tell you, going from working with Rosewood and Jatoba to Walnut was quite a difference! Walnut carves like butter compared to those two other woods.

See ya around,
Dominic
Since I had off today I had time to work on the WM&C thumbhole rip handle.

I cleaned up the curves with a chisel and then started sanding to refine the shape. I made it up to 150 grit before I had to stop for dinner.

Since this is walnut I will most likely seal and fill the pores prior to applying any finish. That will help with some small areas of tear out that occurred.

I think this one will have wheat carving.
See ya around,
Dominic
Blacky's Boy said:

Finished sanding the first handle today and then gave it a coat of TruOil.

And wouldn't you know it, once I added the finish I find a couple areas that need touching up. Oh well. It's not as if it was unexpected. The cool thing is that the finish helps to stiffen the end grain a bit and make sanding a tad bit easier.

Klaus,
I remember a while ago you telling me to insert a piece of spring steel in the handles saw slot. Since then I've done that all the time. I even cut a piece to fit inside the slot and not stick out much so it won't interfere with the vise jaws. That's why you don't see it in the other photos. It's there, just hidden. I just use another piece to push it out when I'm done.

This one definitely gets my vote. Very nice Dom.
BontzSawWorks.net
Great work on all 3 handles Dom. I can see that a lot of work has gone into the shaping of each of these. A great example to your attention to detail. Well done on all counts.

Stewie;
Dom ......... You are really becoming a Saw Handle Guru for sure . Nice Work, what tools are you using if you don't mine me asking. If you showed these before and the process I apologize.

Steve
Window Guy said:

Dom ......... You are really becoming a Saw Handle Guru for sure . Nice Work, what tools are you using if you don't mine me asking. If you showed these before and the process I apologize.

Steve

Here you go:

It's nothing specialized really. Just a bunch of tools found in any shop

• Initial shaping: Drill, Bandsaw and Bowsaw
  • Carving: 3/8" fishtail chisel, no name 5 pc carving set, 1" bench chisel
  • Forming: LV 8" Coarse Rasp, Gramercy Saw Makers Rasp, assorted small files, assorted scrapers, and sandpaper
See ya around,
Dominic