Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project
MarvW said:

Dom,

You will find the cover-top handle design on the very first D8 saws Disston made. They later included the cover-top design on some of their other models like the D23 and most of their saws post 1928, even their D-12,s. When you look at the top front of the handle you don't see the edge of the blade through the handle.

Sorry, thought you were using that No.7 handle for a rip saw. My bad.

Marv,

Is the "cover top" design the same as a "let in" design?

T.Z.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Dom, if you haven't set your choice of handle in stone and want some more scans, I have two No 7 handles I could scan, one with the lamb's tongue and the other without, as well as various others. IIRC, the No 7s I have are larger handles which would work well for your plate.
Hey, what the heck can it hurt. right? Let me see what it looks like.

Either way I get to draw it up and have it for everyone else to use.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Better get a website up Dom!
www.metaltech-pm.com
Tony,

Yes, you called it by it's correct name. "Let-in".
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
My favorite style of Disston saw!

Thanks Marv,

T.Z.
www.metaltech-pm.com
Does anyone have a "let in " pic. handy? Or perhaps a reference to one I could look up? thanks
BontzSawWorks.net
Started flattening the rosewood for the handles last night. I found another piece in my wood pile and decided to flatten that as well. Just in case I get the urge to make both handles out of rosewood.

And let me tell you, even though it's not the exact same species that was used "back in the day" I can understand why people love working with it. besides being beautiful it planes like a dream. I am so glad that I saw these two pieces sitting in the "offcut" bin at Groff and Groff!

I'll take some photos when I get back in the shop tonight. Hopefully I can start on the jatoba.

I'm curious, has anyone worked with Jatoba before? I've never used it. I saw this particular piece at Groff and Groff as well and just fell in love with the color. It's also dense as hell! It's grain pattern reminds me of bubinga. I'm just hoping that it doesn't behave like Gonsalvo Alves. I made a handle for my halfback saw and that wood gave me a lot of trouble. It cracked it I looked at it.
See ya around,
Dominic
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Hi Ron,

This gives you some information about it, but I'm sure there is better depiction of it online somewhere....

This is what the Disstonian site has to say about the D8 saws, originally No.80.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/d8page.html
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
Thanks for reminding me about that section. I would LOVE to know how they made the cut in the handle. I would imagine it would need to be a 0.042" thk circular blade in order to make that cut. From the photo I'm guessing it would need to be about 8" to 10" dia.

Wow, I'm having a brain blast here! If you could find a 0.042" thk circular saw blade that will fit on your table saw you could make a trap fence that would hold the saw handle blank securely right over the lowered blade. Then you'd power up the saw and raise the blade right into the handle. Lots of room for error there. But with the proper jigging, I'm sure it could be done.
See ya around,
Dominic