Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project
I've been wanting to build a full sized rip and crosscut saw for a while now. Until recently I didn't have access to large widths of 0.042" steel. But that changed about a month ago.

Along with that steel I also picked up a Beverly Slitting Shear. This little gen allows me to cut spring steel like it was paper. Now that all the pieces were in place I decided it was time to layout a rip and cross cut saw prototype. I used Autocad to design the saw plates to meet the hang line of a couple of my favorite saw handles. The Wheeler Madden & Clemson as well as the old Disston D-7. Once I had these laid out I printed out the plans and went to town on the saw plates.

Using a trick I picked up from Issac, I used blue painters tape to provide a background for my marking lines. Then it was a simple matter to get the slitting shear set up,...

And start cutting. It went a lot easier than I would have thought! It was a lot like cutting paper.

It only took me about 10 to 15 minutes (really took my time here) to cut the saw plates to size

After that I spent some time smoothing out the edges and curves with a combination of files and my grinding wheel.

Before I punched the teeth out I decided I wanted to run a test with a small piece of 0.042" thk scrap. Thanks to JoeMac (and Wilbur for transporting them) I no have a couple additional Foley retoothers. So I decided to use the oldest (and most sturdy looking of the bunch) to perform this test. It was a manual retoother but that posed no problem. It worked GREAT! One by product of this is now I have a small saw plate punched to 9ppi rip. I plan to use this to help me cut the slots in the handles.

Now that this is out of the way I moved onto cleaning/debluing the saw plates with Citric Acid. Hopefully I can punch the teeth tonight

More progress photos to come.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Good pics Dom...keep 'em coming!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Those things are going to look great. One thing that really stands out to me is the curved heel; I LOVE that feature on saw blades. That metal shear is a nice looker, too.
Interested in looking at my tools?
Tongue Check out my image sets on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76077448@N00/sets/
Thanks!

Here are the drawings I made up of each prototype

Crosscut saw

Rip Saw
See ya around,
Dominic
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Dominic. Very nice. Any reason for cutting them down to 26"? Could you have left it longer or was 25.8" the limit for some reason?

Steve
Steve,
Excellent question. See that diagonal dashed line going from the toe to the mid point of the handle? That's a representation of the relationship between the hang angle of the handle and the saw plate. That's what i used to establish the saw plate length. Is it correct? We'll know once I try the saw out!

See ya around,
Dominic
Looks great, Dom. You have quite the blend of wood and metal working skills, I'm looking forward to seeing the results!
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
Oh Man!! Ain't it beautiful when a plan comes together???? I sure wish that I was in your shop to watch the birth of this beauty.

Very nice indeed.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
Dom,

Looks good! Can't wait to see the finished product.

BTW, what is that nib thing for?

Mike
Looking very good Dom.

Are you going to try tapering? Metal scraping should be fun I understood from this forum....

I've also tried that trick to find the hang angle of the handle. But I find it's always pretty arbitrary where you exactly draw the line through the handle. A small deviation and you get a way other hangangle.