Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project
Corneel said:

Are you going to try tapering? Metal scraping should be fun I understood from this forum....

I'm not dead set against it. But for these (at first) I may just add some more set to the teeth. I just couldn't imagine trying to consistently scrape .005" off each side over a 26" length!

From what I hear of other saw makers, some have used a belt sander. Since this is a prototype, I may get brave and try to do something like that.

And I understand completely about the arbitrary nature of that method of finding the hang angle. That's why I drew it up in AutoCad first. I used the average thickness of the handle to determine a very accurate center line. From there is was a piece of cake to get the perpendicular line to the toe.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Aha, you're cheating! Using space age methods to produce an early artefact...
Looks good would you be insterted in selling your hand saws?
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter!
If you decide to sell, put me down for a large scale copy of the handsaw from Smiths Key... 28", 5 or 6 ppi rip...
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

ZachDillinger said:

If you decide to sell, put me down for a large scale copy of the handsaw from Smiths Key... 28", 5 or 6 ppi rip...

Hey hey hey! I'm still working out the bugs in the process. But as soon as I'm ready to go into production I'll give you a yell.

What's this Smith's Key saw look like? I'm always up to look at a saw I whose name I don't recognize.
See ya around,
Dominic
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Blacky's Boy said:

[blockquote]ZachDillinger said:

Hey hey hey! I'm still working out the bugs in the process. But as soon as I'm ready to go into production I'll give you a yell.

What's this Smith's Key saw look like? I'm always up to look at a saw I whose name I don't recognize.

[/blockquote]

No worries, and no rush. Here is a link that shows the Smith's Key saw:

http://www.davistownmuseum.org/bioJamesCam.htm

It doesn't show clearly the roseheaded rivets that hold the handle on. But that would be cool as well, no sawnuts here
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

How have you determined the angle for the handle? It looks like you increased it to about 9*. With the weight of the saw and the number of points per inch and the angle of the teeth that could be very aggresive. I've always noticed the different handle angles and wondered how to figure that out. The bigger the angle the more force bushing the teeth into the wood
"How have you determined the angle for the handle?"

I'm not sure I understand your question.

The handle was traced off of a scan of a real saw handle. So all the relationships should be just as good as the one I scanned.

The hang angle of the handle in relation between the handle and saw plate was determined by following the "guide lines" presented by that Disston Saw Mfg Article I showed.

Between the two of them I think I got it as close as possible. But once I build it and test it I will know how successful I was.
See ya around,
Dominic
Dom,

You will find that, that perpendicular line from the center of the hand grip down the saw plate can vary quite a bit without effecting the performance of the saw. Old saws have remained quite useable as the tooth edge gets filed so as to end up with a pointed toe. That perpendicular line is then well below the tooth edge at the toe end. In my opinion, many people are way over thinking the issue of "hang". It's not until the hang gets out to the extremes in either direction that it makes a significant difference. It's certainly not an issue of precision.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
You mean this one? (No 187 in the drawing below)

Nice looking saw. But I'd need a clear photo of the saw handle as well as some kind of reference dimension in order to make a correctly scaled drawing of it.
See ya around,
Dominic