Bombe Secretary (picture heavy)
Arlin Eastman said:

Peter
First I have not a clue what you are making except it is to be a desk.

Now I think you are haveing an awesome start with fantasic wood.

Keep up the good work

Arlin

Arlin this is my inspiration

Peter

My "day job"
Peter Tremblay said:

[blockquote]Richard D. said:

Beautiful work Peter!

I understand using solid slabs to make it an authentic reproduction but are the GF products you mentioned authentic as well? Wouldn't Shellac and wax be more appropriate?

It would be more appropriate for an exact replica. But I'm going for a reproduction which means that I will "modernize" a few things.

But, and I defer to Dave as the expert on this, reproductions today tend to emphasize wood choice and design faithfulness to the original. There is no one (that I'm aware of) that is making furniture to be used and still using just the old finishing techniques.

I make the compromise in that I will use power tools to make this and I will use a modern finish. The design and the wood will be true to the period as best as I am able.

[/blockquote]

I would not presume to advise you on how to do anything, your work speaks well for your talent, and I am a hack. But have a look at this weeks NYW http://www.newyankee.com/index.php?id=56...ct=7916571 Norm is building a walnut table and spending some extra time describing the finish.
Whatever you do I know it will look great!
Ag.
On Tommy Macs website under How To's he has a bunch of videos of him making his Bombe Secretary. I never knew how they made the curved parts until I saw it on the videos.

That's going to be a great piece when its done.
Don
Great project, Peter. I'll certainly be following your progress with interest.

I had planned to attempt a Bombe' dresser in Walnut but could not find 12/4 slabs wide enough. I bought 8" wide 12/4 planks intending to glue-up panels but then decided it wouldn't look right. I'm gonna wait until I can afford Honduras Mahogany. IMHO, the dovetailed, serpentine drawers with compound angles are the most challenging aspect. I got the chest plans from Craig Bentzley at the SAPFM site.

And yes, the traditional American method for making the Bombe' form is wasteful of material but nothing can replace the look of a single, integral side panel, IMHO. In 18th century england, the sides were made from angled sections but to me, that's an inferior method.

Another FYI regarding the finish. Shellac is no more a traditional 18th century finish than is nitro-cellulose lacquer.

"Contrary to many long-held opinions, shellac was not the most popular spirit varnish during the 18th century. Even in it's most refined state, the resin had a cloudy brown cast that made it inferior to other common resins like sandarac." ...Jeffrey P. Greene, "American Furniture of the 18th Century"

Just thought I'd clear up that little misconception.
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.
Please... keep the pictures and commentary coming! Beautiful work indeed....

Lawrencw
Shazam!! You could be right!!!!!!!
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/slideshow/portfolio?sort=6
Thanks for the heads up on this Peter. I will be following your progress with interest. I am surprised 12/4 was this enough for the sides. Rick
Is it done yet? I've been waiting quite a while.....
VH07V  
EightFingers said:

That's what I was thinking. Dave would be putting on the finish by now!

Frank
Frank
FrankAtl said:

[blockquote]EightFingers said:

That's what I was thinking. Dave would be putting on the finish by now!

Frank

[/blockquote]

Actually I just glued up my case yesterday and started on the drawers I will post a few incriminating photos of Peter using power tools when I get a chance and of coures a few photos of a piece that the dovetails were cut the proper way on pins first of course.
Peter,
Looks like you're off to a great start on the secretary!
I heartily agree with your choice of finish:the General Finishes Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal. I've been using them for years, and they are my favorite finish for walnut, mahogany, and cherry.
Basically, it's a wiping varnish. The first coat, the Seal-A-Cell, is very thin, like Watco. It penetrates and seals the wood for the second coat, the Arm-R-Seal. That gives you a good build, usually in two coats. I usually apply a minimum of three coats.
I've found that the Arm-R-Seal is very glossy, even the satin. If it turns out too glossy for you, you can wait and rub out the finish to whatever sheen you want.
When I first began using General Finishes products,it was a three-step process, with three different products. Later, they simplified it to a two-step process.
Looking forward to pictures of the completed secretary!
Rick