No.999 Wheeler, Madden & Clemson Duo finished up......
I posted a while back about cleaning up and sharpening a couple of older saws for a man out east. At that point I had the rip completed and needed to do a little more work on the cross cut as posted here .

The cross cut is now complete with the top horn repaired and both have been mailed out. I'm envious of the owner now as these make a beautiful pair of saws, the likes of which will probably never be found again. Nice thin blades with a great ring to them and they cut great. Enjoy the pics!

Here's a page from the reprint of the 1895 "The National Saw Company Catalog". While I believe these two saws are earlier examples of the No.999, it still gives you an idea that these were high end saws due to the price per dozen. Wouldn't we all like to buy them for that price today!

Take care,
Daryl
Perfect, as we've come to expect from you.
That 'Star' that you use for your avatar, is that yours, do you have any pictures you could share?

Toby
Every time I see one of these posts I click your website, all saws are "SOLD."

Fine and dandy. Thanks for the pictures and the post. I like how you have managed for the unique handles to retain a lot of their original character, and yet the saw plates are mirrors.
Inspirational work.
When did you start refurbing makeup mirrors? Stunning.
Jason
Wow Daryl! They both look stunning!

I have a thing for WMC saws and these are representative of some of the their slickest looking saws. I have never seen one in this good of condition. Let alone two! You've out done yourself sir.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Those are some of my favorite handles ever, and the rest of the saw looks great as well. Thank you for sharing.
Isaac
Blackburn Tools - simply classic
Blog
Daryl ......... Another beautiful resurrection, those are absolutely stunning. And those handles are really cool, I like them a lot.

Thanks for sharing !

Steve
Hey Toby,

I need to get that Star saw down and take a few pictures of it. They don't command the price (even though I saw one sell for $1,200) of a Panther head but are far rarer in my book. Like I was told by a fellow saw collector, they don't have the "mystique" of the Panther head.

How I came to own mine is pretty funny. I had been visiting this antique shop buying saws for quite a while. It had been a while when I dropped in to take a look again. When the man behind the counter saw me he said "There's the saw guy" and began to tell me about the saw that they had just found moving a cabinet away from the wall. It was hanging in the back and had a "Star on the handle". Well at that time I thought I knew what it was and I had guessed correctly when I laid my eyes. The price tag hanging on it was...............a staggering $10.00. Needless to say, I walked out the door one happy camper. More than likely that has been my best old tool purchase.
Take care,
Daryl
Thanks Daryl,
Some people have all the luck! It's a beauty from what little I can see in the avatar. Look forward to seeing more of it.

Toby