Help with airscrew / propeller. Any experience??
Trying to knock out a final gift for the holidays. Brother-in-law's a pilot and an aviation fan (i hope the 2 go hand-in-hand). For his gift, I'm trying to create a reproduction airscrew from a Fokker D.VIII WWI aircraft. I was able to find a very crude template for laminated blades, and the final product ...

I'm finishing the glue-up of the laminates today. Here's the dry-fit look ...

I'm nervous on the carving. Before I start hogging material out, does anyone have any experience as to the steps needed to get the proper shape of the prop? Tips or tricks? Any and all help would be appreciated.
-Dave
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Watching this thread with care, as I am going to give this a go this winter.
Ag
Once again, I am of no help, but did want to say,

VERY
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
I'm not going to be much help here, but I would think a series of templates with the foil cut out, back and front, would allow you to monitor progress as you work. Since it's not a flight propeller, it only has to look right, not actually be right.

Oh, and as a former small plane pilot, that is super cool.

Are you putting a clock in the hub, or just leaving it as a raw prop?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
There was a thread on this very subject a week or two ago. There was also a video in there about how props are made. I would do a search on "propellors", site wide and read up on it, then just wing it. It's going to be a static display prop only right?
Yup, just a display prop ... not servicable. Haven't decided on a clock, or just plain hub. Maybe a circular brass plate identifying the plane??
-Dave
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
A brass plate with the plane ID and a little info would be cool. Might be pricey too.
Along those lines, if it were me, whatever I put in or on the hub, I'd either highlight that bolt pattern, or at the very least, not disguise it. It's a unique feature of those wooden props, with a certain authentic cool factor, and I'd try to incorporate it into any treatment of the hub without camouflaging it, if possible.

Being that I have no creativity, I can only like or dislike something when I see it (like a dog), but not come up with it on my own.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Google "propeller twist distribution" or "propeller pitch angle" or similar.

This one may be useful? How's your math?
schloodog said:

I'm nervous on the carving. Before I start hogging material out, does anyone have any experience as to the steps needed to get the proper shape of the prop? Tips or tricks? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Here is a smaller one I made
link

If you don't want to wing it, use the drawing to make templates. Prop drawings have the cross sections of the blade at various intervals on the prop.

Here is the drawing I used
Bob

"A dull mind uses dull tools" - my Uncle Jim RIP