A New Years - What are you planning on doing this year?
This was under the tree this year.

I need a real workbench. It's been too long without.
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
kludge said:

...I need a real workbench. It's been too long without.

That is where I was this time last year. The Roubo was a big project but was absolutely worth it. I can't imagine working without it now.

I look forward to your bench build along post
Sounds good.

But you must do a "build along" thread.

I love those things

Even if my Bombe Secretary build along thread is going very slow
Peter

My "day job"
Time for a mid-year update... I've been able to knock out a number of the smaller projects on my list and the Bed build will begin as soon as I can settle on a design. How are you all doing?

ckx707 said:

1) Build a bed - My wife has been very supportive of this hobby and in order to maintain that support I need to get this done this year Currently next on the list.

2) Refurb the garage shop: re-wire, insulate, add better lighting, and heat. This is likely getting derailed again...Our long term plans for the house are shifting and the current idea is to replace the current garage/breezeway with a new addition at some point in the next 5 years. The wife also gave me a preliminary green light to build a standalone shop building next year so I can't justify investing in the current garage at this point.

3) Complete at least 3 other smaller projects from the long to-do/want-to-do list:
- Bookcase for my daughter Done.
- Magnetic knife block Done.
- End grain cutting board
- Moxon twin screw vise Done.
- Step stool for my son
- Something with hand cut dovetails
- Something my daughter can help with
- Tune up my 1940's Delta 14" bandsaw Done.

4) Round out my hand tool kit with a decent saw or two. A Bad Axe hybrid sash saw is high on my list. A chance to pick it up in person and meet Mark would be a sweet bonus since I'm only a few hours from La Crosse. I've basically settled on a Bad Axe saw but I'd ideally like to get some hands on time with a few before pulling the trigger. I'm thinking this purchase might wait until Handworks 2015

-I just finished the major overhaul of my shop
-I built the slab live edge table for my daughter and new son in law.
-I added the new cabinet and work area to the end of the shop and included a build along thread as suggested!

NOW - My goals for the rest of the year?

* I need to learn to use the Porter Cable Dovetail jig that sat in the box for two years due to surgeries.
* Get in more practice with the Ibox jig as well.
* Make a Live Edge Coffee Table as a gift for a friend who was our most valuable volunteer for our veteran's Charity for the six/seven years we ran it.
* Spend as much time in the shop as possible with my restrictions, building boxes and learning as many new skills as possible
* Learn to use, tune and sharpen the new planes I have acquired. I am looking forward to that the most.
* LOML wants new kitchen cabinets late this year or early next... practice the skills that will build my confidence to make that happen.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
It's a good think I didn't make a list….
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
To whomever resurrected this thread:

Thanks for the notification of failure.
“As a result of your posts, you now have convinced me of agreeing to your point of view”

-  nobody....ever
titanxt said:

I am going to be honest with myself... I will probably only do what I always do... take too long to finish the projects I actually get around to do. Probably takes as much time and enjoyment in sharpening tools and cleaning up as I do building something. I will probably also buy a tool that I have always wanted but probably don't really have the need for...

Andy

No failure for me... I am right on task!

Andy
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
With the year coming to an end it is time for the final update on the goals I set for 2014. I'm still collecting my thoughts on next year but a few things will carry over from this year.

ckx707 said:

1) Build a bed - My wife has been very supportive of this hobby and in order to maintain that support I need to get this done this year Started back in September but probably only 50% complete at this point.

2) Refurb the garage shop: re-wire, insulate, add better lighting, and heat. This is likely getting derailed again...Our long term plans for the house are shifting and the current idea is to replace the current garage/breezeway with a new addition at some point in the next 5 years. The wife also gave me a preliminary green light to build a standalone shop building next year so I can't justify investing in the current garage at this point. I did add a few additional light fixtures.

3) Complete at least 3 other smaller projects from the long to-do/want-to-do list: 6 out of 8 is better than I expected
- Bookcase for my daughter Done.
- Magnetic knife block Done.
- End grain cutting board Done.
- Moxon twin screw vise Done.
- Step stool for my son This didn't get done this year but as the little man is getting more mobile this is rising in priority
- Something with hand cut dovetails Unfortunately no dovetails were butchered in my shop this year.
- Something my daughter can help with Done. This was our first year competing in the pinewood derby. Her car was dog slow (as an engineer this was really tough to swallow) but she won 2nd place for show at both our school derby and the slightly larger district event.
- Tune up my 1940's Delta 14" bandsaw Done. Installed new urethane tires, thrust bearings, and bought a few new blades.

4) Round out my hand tool kit with a decent saw or two. A Bad Axe hybrid sash saw is high on my list. A chance to pick it up in person and meet Mark would be a sweet bonus since I'm only a few hours from La Crosse. Making progress... I was planning to wait until Handworks 2015 to check out some of Mark's saws in person before pulling the trigger but it looks unlikely we will be able to make that trip so I picked up a 14" hybrid filed sash saw last month. I've only used it a few times but so far I am very happy with it.

Not really a goal setter (regimentation went out the door with retirement), but first on the list is making a set of Double-Nine dominoes for grandson plus equivalent amount of blanks to line up and knock down (about 110 in all), plus a box with personalized lid to keep everything in. That is all due in mid-February.

After that, just improving basic skills - better sharpening of chisels and plane irons, cutting dovetails and simple miter joints by hand, and square up my compound miter saw. Maybe learn intarsia for 2015 Christmas presents.

Did I hear time for outdoors and exercise - walking, bicycling, fishing, and camping? Visit in-laws in coastal Florida?

Oh! and my wife wants to get rid of everything and move to a smaller house.