Handplane storage
I've been using handtools more and I'd like to build a tool box for better storage and easier access. I've seen handplanes stored a lot of diffrent ways, (flat-blade down, on their side and vertically). How do you store yours and why?
Wooden bench planes in my tool chest - sole / blade down
Molding planes in my tool chest - on toe
Infill planes in smaller CE Jennings tool chest - on their sides.

I don't think it makes one lick of difference which way they are stored. My are stored as they are to make the most efficient use of space in my chests.
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

+1
Richard D. Wile
Nova Scotia - Canada.

http://richard-wile.blogspot.com/
In cubbyholes under my bench, resting on their soles, with a piece of lath under the fronts of the planes I use most often, so I can leave the irons set.

Except for the No. 8, the depth of the cubbyholes means that I store the planes in two ranks, with the rear ranks being used for planes I don't use as often.

Why? My shop's tiny, and this is the most space-efficient storage for me.

Best solution? No; the rear planes tend to get forgotten because of their location.

My theoretical ideal? A home-made version of a mechanic's rollaway, with the drawer depths/widths optimized for plane and small tool storage. All that's preventing this from happening is a severe shortage of round tuits and time, with a corresponding excess of urgent projects.
Right now I store mine like this:

This is just temporary until I can build a plane till.

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
I hang them from short leather loops (shoelaces) from the front tote. They hang above and behind my workbench - just in reach. They rest against a plywood panel that is divided with 1/4 inch square pine dividing strips tacked to the plywood that snug them up a bit side-to-side. This is cheap, keeps them in view and easily accessable. I copied it from Garrett Hack's storage system for planes.
Inside the tool cabinet....

"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
same here

See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
I keep the ones I use most either on the workbench or on the counter behind me, sole down with a 1/4" scrap of wood under the toe to keep the blades from contacting anything. The lesser used ones are in a cabinet with shelves, on their soles as above, and in random order.

I'll build a till someday soon.
I was trained to place them on their sides away from storage (when using them). In storage they rested in normal use position for pick up at tote. The sole was blocked up.

It's no fun adjusting them constantly, or every use. So protecting from jarring and iron edge damage is the biggest criteria.