Handplane storage
Third:

Mine are in the bottom of my tool chest. Just slide the two tool trays out of the way, and there they are, ready to be used.

However you go about it, I highly recommend a wooden box for tool storage. I live in a very humid area and had problems with rust until I started storing everything in wooden boxes. They regulate humidity very well and keep the rust at bay.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Cheap and easy. Used cabinet from a jobsite and 3/4" plywood with dividers in dados leaned inside to hold the planes. Carpet padding to prevent moisture from the wood on the bottom of the plane soles.

" />
Another plane till on the wall. Next time I'll tip it back more than 10* from vertical like this one. Some of the short planes (#3 especially) want to tip outward a little too easily for my taste.

"For true creativity, we have to think beyond our tools." - MsNomer -
"Measuring is the enemy of precision." - Chris Schwarz on story sticks -
"only one opinion counts, the one that pays." - daveferg -
Love those hanging cleats for the handplanes - nice design!

Doug
Thanks to everyone for the ideas, the pictures were great. I have to figure out how to do the picture thing. The variety of ideas gives me a lot to think about. My cabinet won't need to be as large as these, I don't have near as many planes as you guys have. As always everyone here is more then helpful. Thanks again.

Paul
Here's my plane till. I got the idea from the Shops and Tools issue of FWW a year or two ago. I wanted something with a low profile since it was to hang on the wall over the bench and I didn't want it sticking out too far and getting in the way of working on top of my bench. A tool cabinet especially with doors would just not work since it sticks out way too far, mine sticks out about 4" or so.

John.
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
Depends on how many you have ,if it's a few users a tool cabinet or tool chest is very nice but if you have lots of planes then shelves are the easiest way to store them. I have a heated shop so rust is not a problem if you have a shop prone to the vagaries of weather and humidity changes throughout the year it's be a different story since rust and wood movement in wooden planes as well could be a problem. If your not opposed to building tool cabinet after tool cabinet and have the wall space then enclose them all Len
ex-INFILL MAGNET
Here is a crappy shot of mine that I found on my Facebook. It was made with scrap pine and lauan. I also used some spare oak fillet material from when I built my stairs.

Interested in looking at my tools?
Tongue Check out my image sets on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76077448@N00/sets/