Handplane storage
Bump again.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
My cheap and easy one shown above still works fine. If you have the time, there are a whole lot nicer ones shown in this thread.
I have a very narrow space that I would like to put my plane till and am wondering do you like the fact that yours has no tilt? I was thinking of either using the method you show or the hang them by the knob? What is a good rule of thumb for the little dividers between each plane 1/2" square? http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w255/...C05291.jpg
You guys have some very nice cabinets and chests. I keep mine on a shelf with carpet. If I'm not going to be using them for awhile I put them in plane socks.

Lonnie

PS Greg you got it bad buddy! You may be too far down the slope to ever get back up.
Belg,

My bench planes (most of them, anyway) are stored vertically, like FordPerfect's. I built a rack for them using a sheet of plywood. I dadoed in divider strips that are about 3/16" wide to keep the planes separated. Don't know if that was necessary, given the construction of the toe and heel clips that keep the planes on the rack, but I like the look of separate spaces for each plane. I lined each space with cork so I can leave the irons set without having to retract them each time I replace them in the rack. Mine are vertical and flat against the wall - the rack does not slant. I did it this way to save space. The clips keep the planes secure; I've never had one fall. I've acquired a number of bench planes since I built the rack, and I need to expand the rack to accommodate the new ones. The rest of my planes are stored on shelves, one of which you can see in the photo below. I've slowed way down on acquiring new planes, so I can probably finish the vertical rack to accommodate all my bench planes without worrying about out growing it again. All of the storage methods shown in this thread look functional. I have very limited space in my shop and this is the storage system that works for me. It sounds like it might work for your space.

Belg said:

I have a very narrow space that I would like to put my plane till and am wondering do you like the fact that yours has no tilt? I was thinking of either using the method you show or the hang them by the knob? What is a good rule of thumb for the little dividers between each plane 1/2" square?

I am happy with no tilt for my bigger planes. The brackets I made engage the planes so that I can easily put them up with confidence. The spacing was arbitrary, at the time the picture was taken my cabinet had a lot of room, I have since fit the planes a bit closer together. I would think 3/8" is a good minimum empty space between the planes or you are more ambitious, a 1/4" wooden divider like some here have done, would also work great.
My solution is similar to what others have done.

Mike

LIL

Not the most recent picture, but here's mine...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Last bump from me.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Thanks for bumping this up, Martin and all. I had lost this!