How to polish a saw plate
Just LIL...
I'm curious, do any of you think this would work on cleaning up cast iron, also? Anyone try it already??

" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Tried foil ball to apply Flitz creme polish to a 1940's D-7 that had some mild staining and not pitting on the plate. This technique definitely brings up a luster to the metal after removing the blackened remains of the polishing creme. The etch was still there, but so were the stains. The clean steel was definitely brighter and smoother than pre-treatment. I used Butcher's wax to clean off the plate and add protection. I haven't used the saw, but wouldn't be surprised if it does not ride the kerf a little smoother due to the lowered friction and smoother metal.

I'm hesitant to use this method on some of my nicely patinated older saws that have that nice dark gray tone.
I don't think the silver shine will come back anyway and the saw might look too gussied up. I'll stick to just wax on those.

By the way, I wanted to mention that Ron Herman recommends spray clear lacquering saw blades as a part of their maintenance. It fills the pits somewhat and isn't really noticeable in appearance on the saw plate. I haven't personally tried this.
Gregory, I have cleaned cast iron frying pans that were left out in the rain after a camping trip. I used sandpaper and vegetable oil to polish and it took quite a while. I had two ( two bits each at a yard sale) I used a glass bead blaster on the second one, a little sandpaper to get all the rust off, and wiped them with cooking oil, put them in the oven face down & brought it to full heat. Once there I turned it off & let them cool slowly all night.both are fine, and neither one has had any problems since. I think it depends on what you want to clean
The quickest way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
I think he was referring to using the "above method" to clean cast iron "hand tools".

Toby

Actually, I was thinking about the cast iron tops of tailed tools, like TS, BS, jointer, etc...

The new-to-me bandsaw I just bought has minor staining on the top and I thought I might try this while it is in full rehab.

" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Just tell your wife to clean it like a frying pan!

I don't see why it wouldn't work on a cast iron table...give it a shot.

Toby
While I was out and about on Saturday morning I happened to stop at a Pep Boys, AutoZone, and Advantage auto parts. NONE of these stores carried AutoSol. However, a helpful Gent at Pep Boys suggested that I try
Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream. So I picked up a can.

I had planned on giving it a shot when I got home but for some reason I found myself spending 2 hours cleaning up the shop instead of working on the project that brought me out there in the first place!

BTW, Pep Boys had Evaporust $7 CHEAPER than Harbor Freight. Of course. I found this out AFTER I had purchased a bottle at Harbor Freight. And the cost of gasoline alone would have negated me going back there to return it.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
thanks for the tip on Pep boys re evaporust. I don't use a ton of it (prefer citric acid lately) but every tool has a itme and a place. Pep Boys is around the corner - HF is a long haul.
Tools that are no good require greater skill.
Quote:

It fills the pits somewhat and isn't really noticeable in appearance on the saw plate.

I've used new saws with lacquer on the blades..IMO, it causes too much friction and eventually the friction cause streaks in the finish ..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I use Johnson's Paste Wax...it works!

Toby