Rehabilitating a 200-year-old Jaeger Rifle
Ditto on the Welcome back Bob, and I also enjoyed this write up. My Father collected and restored old guns including a few muzzle loaders. I as a Kid enjoyed watching him work on his Guns.

Thanks for sharing !

Steve
Good job as usual, Bob...We've missed you and hope you continue to join us again here in the hand tool section..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Wow.

I've read your stuff on other sites and have seen you mentioned here.

Glad to see you're back.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

You are, truly, a man of many talents, Bob...

Love the post. Love the rifle. And love the lesson...

Thanks!

And welcome back!!

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."

Great to see you on the Forum, Bob!
What always amazes me about the old rifles and muskets is how little wood there is in the area of the firing mechanism and trigger; and yet, they don't fall apart when fired.
Bill_Houghton said:

What always amazes me about the old rifles and muskets is how little wood there is in the area of the firing mechanism and trigger; and yet, they don't fall apart when fired.

That's why I stress grain orientation so heavily. If cut from a straight blank and not a tree crotch or by heat-bending, by the hundred year mark the stock will likely either crack at the lock, or the toe.

This also applies to all pieces y'all are making from wood that are thin and stressed.

The modern long rifle builders who don't appreciate this are legion, and many get a lot of money for what is essentially second-rate work.

Here's what a long stock should look like, with the barrel channel lined up with the benchtop strips:

Outstanding restoration.

It represents a collection of skills acquired over many years. So much more involved than what we see in these pictures.

Great pictorial. It's inspiring.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
Welcome back!
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Another great set of archive-worthy posts! I'm always impressed by the no-nonsense approach, backed by decades of experience.

If I may humbly offer the next in a series of collectible WoodNet posters:

It's based on an inane Ethan Allen catalogue cover, first discussed here.

Thanks for taking the time to document the process.

Cheers,
/dev