A bookshelf for Little Man
Very nicely done!

If I were you I wouldn't change the joinery to make it faster, I'd change the joinery to expand your skill set.

You could change the shelf dados to stopped dados. It's a simple but real extension of what you've already done.
MichaelMouse said:

NOTHING is stable when a kid begins to use it to climb. Cleat to the wall or screw it into the wall.

Nice design. Good execution.
ckx707 said:

Now for my question... I have enough stock to build another one of these for my daughter but am interested to hear alternative ideas for the shelf to side joinery that might speed up the build process a bit (since shop time might be limited in the near future). I tend to question the strength of a simple dado as there isn't much (or any) long grain to long grain glue surface. Am I being too conservative? I'm actually contemplating pocket screws either in addition to the dado or on their own. Does the woodnet brain trust have any suggestions for something a bit quicker yet still durable?

Thanks in advance,

-Chris

Well I finally got around to wrapping up the second shelf based on this same design. I did end up going with pocket screws instead of the wedged through tenons and I really don't have any regrets. My daughter will be glad to have a nice bookshelf like her little brother's and the wife will be happy that I can move on to the bed she has been asking for vs. spending an additional 2-3 weeks futzing with the more complex joinery. Don't get me wrong, I love the traditional joinery but this was more of a just-get-it-done project.

I'm also much happier with the more natural looking finish on this one vs. the darker than intended dye job on the first one.

As always more pics and build details are posted up on my blog.
Very nice job on the project, looks great. However I understand what you are saying but I must admit I prefer the wedged M & T joinery looks more traditional. Like I said this looks nice but I try and stay away from mechanical fasteners if I can. Just my $.02.

Thanks for sharing !

Steve
very nice...
I think the things we make for the wife and kids are always just a tad more important to us. Both turned out beautifully.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Quote:

Cleat to the wall or screw it into the wall.

AMEN!!!!! A small boy was killed here a few years ago when he pulled out a drawer and climbed on it and the bureau fell on him.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Window Guy said:

Very nice job on the project, looks great. However I understand what you are saying but I must admit I prefer the wedged M & T joinery looks more traditional. Like I said this looks nice but I try and stay away from mechanical fasteners if I can. Just my $.02.

Thanks for sharing !

Steve

I'm typically on your side of this argument and I do prefer the M&T joinery myself. My long term goal is to some day be able to say that every piece of furniture in my home is something I hand built. I have a loooong way to go and this is me trying to compromise and just crank out something functional that is still sturdy and nice looking... I don't typically compromise but in this case I'm OK with the decision. If at some point down the road the fact that I "cheated" on this one bothers me I can always build another one when there are less time constraints
MichaelMouse said:

NOTHING is stable when a kid begins to use it to climb. Cleat to the wall or screw it into the wall.

You've met my little ones I see.
John: Struggling along with a "piece of junk" table saw
First of all, I love how the curves at the top flow into each other. That's really classy looking.

As to construction, I think I would have split the difference--wedged tenons on the top and bottom shelves, and plain dadoes for the middle shelves. That way, the top and bottom shelves keep the two sides firmly together, and the middle shelves have no chance of dropping out, even if every bit of glue in the structure gives way.

As to securing them to the wall, I agree. Easiest way is to locate the wall studs and put a couple screws right through the back and into the studs. If you put the screws just below the shelves, they'll never be seen.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop