Saw Sharpening Advice - Atkins 93
Folks,

I just cleaned up a saw and I need a bit of advice for sharpening it. It is an Atkins 93 Improved Universal saw.

I haven't found much information about it on the web. I do know it was meant to be truly universal, i.e. it would cut both crosscut and rip. Does anyone out there know how I should sharpen it? I'm kind of a newbie saw sharpener, but I have sharpened pure crosscut and pure rip saw (but never both in one saw).

Does anyone else have more background information on this saw?

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
"Great American" tooth pattern crosscut saw, cuts on the push and pull. Sharpen just like a one or two man crosscut saw.
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post6...ml#p676349
Nice find. I would imagine there would be some collector interest in that saw. Disston made a similar saw called the D17 Double Duty, which are fairly uncommon. This is the first time I have ever seen an Atkins. I had a nice D17 a few years ago, but sold to to a collector. I expect they are uncommon because they did not crosscut or rip very well.

If the tooth pattern is the same as the Disston, I believe it had 2 rip teeth and 5 crosscut teeth, separated by the deep U shaped gullets. I imagine Daryl Weir, could give you some sharping advise.

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
Not the same, Disston looked like this...

This saw has three teeth, big gullet, three teeth, and so on, but no big gullets close to the toe.

Commonly referred to as Crown Tooth.
We don't wear crowns, well,... accept for Burger King!

Are you bothered by the term "Great American"? We'll rename it "The Incredible Australian"!!
TobyC said:

We don't wear crowns, well,... accept for Burger King!

Are you bothered by the term "Great American"? We'll rename it "The Incredible Australian"!!