Turning Custom Screwdrivers - Survey
I made a bunch of different sized ferrules out of stainless steel on my vintage South Bend 9A....The walls are about 1/16" and guaranteed for life not to split!!!!!! I just got tired of the thin-walled brass ones splitting on me because they become work-hardened....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I have some pretty good ideas on how I'm going to approach this. I don't often take pics of my projects in progress, but I just might on this one. I stopped off at Lowe's today and discovered two things: Copper is much cheaper than brass, and brass tubing is not carried there. I did buy a couple of 5 packs of the female-to-female couplers in brass, and a 10 pack of copper couplers to use as ferrules. I'm really looking forward to this project.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
My buddy still uses this little stubby I made for him a couple years ago. I used a screwdriver bit adapter made for drills. Bocote looks nice, and turns well.

"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
Steve

Nice Box to hold them in.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I did a tutorial for Woodturningonline.com a while back using the LV shanks. I used a dremel to shape the holes for the wings.

Have a look here for my solution, and also how I covered the opening in the ferrule.
Wood Turning Online Article
Richard D. Wile
Nova Scotia - Canada.

http://richard-wile.blogspot.com/
Bump
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
As long as this is bumped, this is what I ended up making for my Secret Santa recipient last year. Handles are all cocobolo. Ferrules are brass plumbing fittings, and the shafts are the Lee Valley Lifetime Screwdriver shafts.

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Bump again.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Late to the party but some very useful ideas here. Allan those are beautiful. The tool roll is a very nice touch. I have some of the LV shanks that need handles and the inspiration here is great.

Doug
Allan

I always drill the hole first for everything like that it makes it easier to keep everything centered.

The kerf is something that is personal and how you want it.

For the brass fitting I have turn it about 500 to 800 rpm depending on how big it is and I use a bedan tool or carbide scraper.

On parting off the back of the handle I get it to around 1/8" and then take it off and use the bandsaw to cut the nib off. Then put a (Do not remember what it is called) but a round sanding pad with 180 grit paper and sand it off.

I always use epoxy glue to glue it in.

Of course it is just my way but it does work.

I can not believe a good turner like you is asking questions.

Arlin

OOPs I did not look at the date.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.