Richardson Brothers 14" backsaw
I got this Richardson Brothers 14" backsaw off of SteveF about a year ago and I just finished it last night

I wish I had some more detailed "before" photos. But I must have misplaced them.

Cleaned up spine

Test fit:

Installing a new saw plate

Cleaning up the handle

Finished Product:

The handle was stripped then finished with some dark aniline dye followed by several coats of TruOil.

The new saw plat it 14ppi Rip with an 8 deg Rake. The saw plate was sanded to about 1500 and then polished with aluminum foil and Durosol.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?

Darker than I like but cool. What kind of wood?
Beech. But it was stained to be almost black when I got it. So I tried to restore it to the way it looked before. Next time I'm just bleaching it clean and then finishing it with TruOil
See ya around,
Dominic
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
I actually really like the dark handle. Nicely done!
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

Very nice restore job Dom. The dark color looks good on that saw.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
Hey Marv,

Thanks for the compliments!

While I have your ear, ....have you ever noticed a saw plate bowing (just a tad) when the hardware is tightened down? I'm taking like, the saw plate it dead straight when installed in the spine and handle. But as soon as you start tightening down the hardware a real slight bow creeps in. Is this is an indication that one of the holes is a bit off?

And we're not talking a huge bow. It's the tiniest of things. And it's right under the handle. So it's not in a super critical area (so to speak). But it's presence just bugs the CRAP out of me!

Your thoughts?
See ya around,
Dominic
Blacky's Boy said:

While I have your ear, ....have you ever noticed a saw plate bowing (just a tad) when the hardware is tightened down? I'm taking like, the saw plate it dead straight when installed in the spine and handle. But as soon as you start tightening down the hardware a real slight bow creeps in. Is this is an indication that one of the holes is a bit off?

And we're not talking a huge bow. It's the tiniest of things. And it's right under the handle. So it's not in a super critical area (so to speak). But it's presence just bugs the CRAP out of me!

Your thoughts?

In my experience, that is caused by misalignment between the slot for the blade and the mortise for the spine, or by the slot for the blade being cut inaccurately. Since it is an old saw, it could also be caused by the cheeks of the handle having cupped or otherwise moved over the years.
Isaac
Blackburn Tools - simply classic
Blog
Blacky's Boy said:

Hey Marv,

Thanks for the compliments!

Your thoughts?

Very nice job Dom. The saw plate below the handle is usually the result of a vertical misalignment between the plate slot within the handle and the fit of the blade within the hardback creating a slight twist in the tooth line when all is assembled. If the back top corner of the blade extends past the back edge of the hardback and is caught within the handle slot at mortise level this slight bow is very difficult to remedy. Apart from checking to make sure the handle mortise is in proper alignment, what I can suggest is you try is the following. Remove the blade assembly from the handle. Use a straight edge and mark a horizontal line at the height of the bottom edge of the hardback through the overhanging blade that's captured within the handle slot. Also mark an intersecting vertical line to represent the back edge of the hardback fit. Now remove this small corner of saw plate with a file or dremel blade. You should be able to do this without having to remove the hardback from the saw plate. Refit the saw handle and see if the bowed saw plate under the handle has disappeared.

Stewie;
I have a whole pile od saws just waiting for you to restore them. Address please.

Just kidding, about restoring not about the pile. It looks really great.

Tom
Nice work.
Waiting for the "action" shot.
Eric.