It's always nice to work on some vintage saws like these.
Hey All,

In between working on my truck the last few weekends and trying to get some other saws done to sell, I finally completed these 4 saws for a gentleman.

The Atkins miter saw is a large one at 30" x 5" with 12ppi which is a little finer than most of the Disstons, which usually have 11ppi. The teeth had been filed with an undercut which is one of the few examples I've seen on an old saw and whoever filed it did a nice job even though the edge had a slight breast too it which I removed.

These were the original teeth before I started on it.

The etch is pretty neat on this one as well.

The other 3 saws were older Disston back saws, two being Henry Disston era (8" & 12") & one being Henry Disston & Son (12"). The blades were hand cleaned and polished on all of them along with being brought back into working order. The hardware was pretty much left as is as far as cleaning. I did have to try and find the original placement for the split nuts and screws as they had been previously removed by someone and were not placed back in the right spots. This really makes a difference in appearance as I've talked about in the past. The 12" blade was toast on the far left one in the group picture which I replaced with a blade from a little newer donor 14" which the customer brought with him. The handles were lightly cleaned, a little BLO applied and waxed. I blued the backs on them as well. They make for a nice vintage set of saws now which I hope the customer will be pleased with.

Take care,
Daryl
What's the (brass?) stud for on the Atkins?
TobyC said:

That's a very good question.

The size of the Atkins indicates it was used as a miter box saw, so my theory is it was a "stop" for the end of the cut.

That's just a guess, and I defer to Daryl's wisdom.

The saws look great, and I am sure the customer will be very pleased.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
307 views and no one knows what the stud was for?
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Martin S. said:

[blockquote]TobyC said:

That's a very good question.

The size of the Atkins indicates it was used as a miter box saw, so my theory is it was a "stop" for the end of the cut.

That's just a guess, and I defer to Daryl's wisdom.

The saws look great, and I am sure the customer will be very pleased.

[/blockquote]

+1 as a stop so you don't jam the handle into the guide posts?
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Martin S. said:

307 views and no one knows what the stud was for?

I've seen other Atkins backsaws marked for Nicholls patent mitre boxes, not many. I don't recall seeing another with the stud in the heel of the blade.

Josh
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

It's probably just a stop like you guys have said, but that's the first one I've seen.

Or it's a magnet that Daryl stuck on there to see if anyone noticed.
TobyC said:

It serves a function quite similar to the nib often found on older hand saws.
Robin of Kingston
To lift a skirt?
Daryl ......... Nice job, I so enjoy seeing your work giving these ole Boy's a new life.

Thanks for sharing !

Steve