Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why?
I am in the market for some spokeshaves and I was wondering which ones you guys like and why?

Thanks!
John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Stanley No. 151

Inexpensive, available and it works. I inherited mine from my father.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

Stanley 51 or 52 are good first shaves. Simpler than the 151, and will fit into tighter inside curves. Also cheaper on That Auction Site.

This has been discussed frequently and often here. Search for "spokeshave," and see what you find.
The Stanley 151 is a great tool, I have one with a new blade from Lee Valley and use it for coarse removal. I like my Veritas shaves for taking fine shavings to finish a piece without sanding needed, also the different sole shapes they have are handy for tight curves or round spindle shaping. I also have a low angle Veritas shave that is good for working on end grain. But if I had to have just one, it would be the Stanley because the others aren't as good at taking thicker shavings.
The blade depth is much easier to adjust on the Stanley 151 because of the twin screws on the iron. I generally have to fiddle with the others to set the depth evenly.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Is there anyway to close the gap on the 151?

John
No. The mouth is not adjustable.

You could swap in a thicker iron. Ron Hock makes one.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Thanks,

I was going to ask if there was a replacement blade for those as I have a 151 that the blade is used up on.

John

I am also loving the design of the Veritas Spokeshave set and I could see many uses for those. And they also have shims to close the mouth.
I'm really liking my Veritas spokeshaves. Very easy to adjust, and thicker blades than the vintage Stanley's. They are a bit pricey at around $95 apiece, but if you plan on using them a lot, they are worth the price. I noticed today that they are also offering the PM-V11 blades for them as well. Too late to suggest that to my Secret Santa, who already shipped my gift!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

I'm really liking my Veritas spokeshaves. Very easy to adjust, and thicker blades than the vintage Stanley's. They are a bit pricey at around $95 apiece, but if you plan on using them a lot, they are worth the price. I noticed today that they are also offering the PM-V11 blades for them as well. Too late to suggest that to my Secret Santa, who already shipped my gift!

Did you get the set and do you find common uses for all of them?

John