Post pics of your homemade tools
Chasing hammer.

Couple of small brass planes.....

Marking and beading gauges..

Ivory Rahzee

Horizontal slow-speed belt grinder for sharpening knives etc..One of the tools I use almost every day!!

Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Impressive to say the least!

Was the horizontal sharpener from plans?
If so, where would they be available??

Dave B
DaveBeauchesne said:

Impressive to say the least!

Was the horizontal sharpener from plans?
If so, where would they be available??

Dave B

Jack designed and built that sharpener right out of his very own noggin. Send member Cletus a PM and ask him for the plans he made for it.

Carl
Cletus built his from a photo of the second and simplified version of the belt sharpener and I have pictures of it somewhere, but here's a pic of the original Mark II....His is slightly more complete than the MkII prototype using a larger spring and roller...This one just uses three ~ 1 1/2" sealed ball bearings which are mounted on a shaft I made but it isn't shown in the pic. The spring just keeps tension on the belt..The belt can be changed an about five seconds. The drive wheel is a hardwood turned right on the motor shaft to run true..It can be fastened to the motor shaft just using epoxy.It measures about two inches in diameter and the belt will run at about 1,000FPM...The aluminum can be purchased from Home Depot or you may be able to find what you can use from a salvage yard or Habitat...

I prefer the belt rotate AWAY from the edge on this particular machine...but you can position the motor to rotate either direction...The drive wheel must have a slight "crown" to keep the belt tracking straight..Skew the motor to facilitate tracking..This has to be done only one time...

I sent this one to Arlin Eastman who will use it to sharpen his chisels...I find it works extremely well to sharpen woodcarving tools...Used with a leather belt, it can put a mirror edge on tools of all types. The pic shows it without a platen but they are simple to make..

Another view..

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Here are some tools I've made for swaps or gifts.

Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Found another one. An adjustable scribing tool.

Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Very nice work, Jim....I like making tools as much as I do working wood!! Especially if wood is used in the construction.... I like the cutting blades you incorporated into your gauge..I just found a pic of the very first ones I made...The one with the Lexan beam was nice in that you could see the layout lines right through the plastic..and I made a couple of DT marking gauges out of also..Hard to believe that it has been almost nine years since I made those. I got the idea from Hamilton's all wood gauge that has been so popular, and just incorporated the ability to lay out dovetails.

Here's the original fleet...

Get off my lawn !
Upset

A bunch of woodcarving knives.........made before I started dying the JB Weld black using candle soot..The black color looks much nicer than the gray, IMO...

Get off my lawn !
Upset

And another small plane.........

Some scribers......

More knives...a couple in there I made about 50 years ago..

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Just bumping this old and valuable thread.
By the way, do threads no longer expire after a year? This one hasn't been update in longer than that…
voigtplanes.com
blackdogswoodshop.blogspot.com