What size skew to start?
bump
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
I have two P&N from Lee Valley. A 3/4' and an 1 1/4", they are flat and I find them great.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Windsor chairmakers, who do alot of spindle turning generally prefer a 1/2 inch skew. It's a bit more agile for rolling beads and can finish off urn shapes so no sanding is necessary(watch Peter Galbert's videos on skew use). Another question to ask is flat or oval. Most spindle turners like to keep their tool rests polished with no nicks. A flat skew rolled up on an edge will cause nicks if the corners aren't taken down with a file and polished. I'd go with an o 1/2" oval with a slight arch across the 1/2 cutting edge.
Bill
Herebrooks said:

Windsor chairmakers, who do alot of spindle turning generally prefer a 1/2 inch skew. It's a bit more agile for rolling beads and can finish off urn shapes so no sanding is necessary(watch Peter Galbert's videos on skew use). Another question to ask is flat or oval. Most spindle turners like to keep their tool rests polished with no nicks. A flat skew rolled up on an edge will cause nicks if the corners aren't taken down with a file and polished. I'd go with an o 1/2" oval with a slight arch across the 1/2 cutting edge.
Bill

Windsor chair builders are working with small diameter turnings. Like pen turners, they can certainly get by with smaller tools. For larger turning, the smaller tool is too close to disaster in the form of a dig on the point when using the limited sweet spot. While the larger tool can certainly turn a smaller diameter (not length) turnings, the small is not a good choice for 3" diameter.

A tool held firmly on the rest will NOT make nicks. Only if it is lifted from the rest and accelerated downward by a catch will the sharpest edge make a mark on impact. Makes sense to take the edges down like sanding the edge of a board to keep from cutting fingers, but no real gain in use.

For planing, an oval skew is demonstrably more unstable than a flat tool, so unless you consider the shorter bevel on the reduced thickness portion an advantage - I don't - you can avoid paying a premium for one. Truth to tell, since the skew is a tool which benefits greatly from a clean and sharp edge, a carbon steel, easily honed one would be an excellent choice. I use a stone on my carbon steel, and a diamond hone on my M2 chisels. Couple passes all they need.

I'd get a straight chisel rather than a skew. Learning is easy, tool is efficient, and it beads beautifully, as well as planes. http://woodworker.com/8-piece-bowl-and-s...mp;searchmode=2 under square chisels. I keep a 1" and a 1/2" . A Bedan is also a good choice for small work, but it doesn't have a long a sweet spot to go between honings.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have a 1/2" & 3/4" Thompson flat Skew(s). The 1/2" is my go to tool, the Skew can be used for more than Spindle use as 1 great example is opening / making up a hole in center of a bowl to start removing wood another is it clears very fast an area to use a parting tool. It's true on practice with one but with practice you learn when to use the tips and full width of the tool.
What the Heck, Give it a Try
I love your take on things Michael
Bill
Hi Mike: Here's some good information on skews. Pete's one of the best craftsman around, his input is valuable.
Bill
http://chairnotes.blogspot.com/search?q=skew
Herebrooks said:

I love your take on things Michael
Bill

Took a lot of dumb mistakes to develop that take! Here's a straight chisel in operation.

Notice how the shavings change into tight coils when the piece is nearly round. Somewhere ~ 58 seconds you'll see the left hand holding the tool flat to the rest for finishing planing.

http://vid35.photobucket.com/albums/d160...rRough.mp4

Had to file the rest when I bought it used, eight years and not since. I use an overhand almost exclusively.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Mike

I know I am different but I only use a skew now for making V cuts or cleaning up the ends of wood.

Since Lyle Jamieson has taught me how to use his bowl gouge like a skew I find it much easier to use and satisfying to use too.

That said I use a 1" skew for what I do.

Arlin

Also I am really looking forward to seeing what you make in the future.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Bump again...
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite