How do you guys store spray cans, glue , etc ?????????????????????
I have three shelves full of spray paint , oil cans , finish , glues , and on and on . It is a friggin mess and I am tired of it. You go to get something and you dig and dig you know the drill. I have a smallish shop and am looking for one of those ideas that uses wasted space to solve the problem . Can any of you show me how you store your canned goods in the shop?
I use a cheap floor standing metal cabinet with a door and multiple shelves. Your glue, finishes, and solvents will add up quickly. Although it's not a fire resistant cabinet, i do like the idea of it being metal and enclosed. You can probably find something that will work for minimal costs if you attend a few estate sales in older neighborhoods. I think I paid $15 for mine. Money well spent if you have the floor space.

How about a cabinet that's one can deep. In my case I built this little cabinet because it was what fit in this space.

Something with doors for sure.

More shallow cabinets.

See ya later,
Bill
Ultimately you would usually keep all of these type items together, which can add to difficulties when you have 3 shelves full.

Biggest deciding factor is temperature. If you have high temps, or low temps it could affect the products. There some type of cabinet, or enclosed storage that could be insulated, or heated works for year round use. Even a light bulb in an enclosed insulated box can keep fluids from freezing.

Next is a clean, dry, and DUST free area to finish, or for that matter even do dry assemblies, and glue ups.

A lot of people have woodworking in the garage, and assembly, and finishing in a basement, or other climate controlled, dust free, area just to handle these concerns.

In terms of where to put it, so it fits in Age old problem, but for me, in a smaller shop, it was always inside, and high up above a lot of other things that tended to get used more often. I'd use a small ladder to get to it when it as time for it, glue was the only thing that was always ready, as it was used more often than just the end of the project.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I have seen people open an area between studs, preferably on an interior wall, put shelves in it, and use that to store finishes and adhesives no larger than a quart. Virtually no extra space utilized.
Ken

"Every day's a holiday, every meal's a feast, and every formation is a parade!" - Bob Markwell
I use one of the cabinets from HF
cabinet

All finishes, solvents, stains, etc are in one, that I had a friend picked me up, for pennies on the dollar, at a going out of business sale.

Glue is in a shop made cabinet hung on wall above bench where I do glue ups.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

The one can deep shelf idea is what I like the most. Something that makes all the products visible. Problem is finding the space to do it. Right now I have 3 shelves about 18 inches deep full . Its very hard to keep track of things that way.
I built this specifically to store all flammables in one place. I try to keep the various products , oil, stains, thinners, all grouped together on the shelves. A shallower cabinet would have been better, but wall space is at a premium.

Mike

Right now just in some ikea wooden cabinets but will soon move them in to a metal one. Ideally I'd like to put them in a fire cabinet like packerguy has. It's on my Craigslist wish list.