Opinions needed Sawhorses and Holdfasts
Someone on this forum has offered holdfasts at very reasonable prices. And TFWW are pretty cheap, too.

My vote is with the Herman bench.
Hi David,

I've posted pictures here of my idea of a saw bench with "splayed" legs. Those of you who have seen these pics can look away. I've always been in favor of "splayed" legs. I know of no one who was or is in favor of my design and know of no one who has built one. That's ok though, it works great for me.

I have never sat on a four legged stool that didn't wobble when on a concrete floor. So it is with a four legged saw bench. Three legged stools do not rock and wobble no matter how uneven the floor is.

The legs on this bench are set in, so they can be splayed in both directions and not extend beyond the edges of the top. We only saw at one end of a saw bench at any given time. No need for full support at both ends.

It's built entirely out of old used 2 x 6,s and screwed together with deck screws. I haven't done it yet, but holes for hold-downs could be drilled through where there are two thicknesses of 2 x 6,s. I've been using clamps when needed.

A bench hook comes in handy at times.

When sawing long rips, a secondary support is a good idea. So, in that sense, a saw bench can be short in length. Depends on what kind of sawing you will be using it for.

I would never expect you to build a bench like this, but maybe something about it might spark an idea for you.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
The 3-legged approach has given me food for thought. Sitting on one of these could possibly evolve into a Shaving Horse. That is possibly where I am heading.

Like that you color coordinated the saw handle. Unique touch.

Thanks for sharing.
David from Cleveland, Ohio
Marv, I like it. I built the CS version, but you're right that it wobbles on my uneven garage floor. I was going to build the Ron Herman version, but like the idea of the three-legged version. May give it a shot.

I also have an outdoor version that I use for logs with a bow saw or chainsaw. It's on its last leg and needs to be replaced. Your design could easily be modified for that purpose by angling the top pieces inward to secure round logs. Interesting.

Steve
The holdfasts will be back in stock by the end of the week.
Joel
Tools for working Wood
Buy the Gramercy from LV. Now. They're excellent, and I have never had them wiggle or budge in the slightest once set (2.5" maple bench).
In Japan, there's probably a WoodNet equivalent where they're debating about Western chisels being a lot like Japanese plumbers. - AHill
henrypig said:

Buy the Gramercy from LV. Now. They're excellent, and I have never had them wiggle or budge in the slightest once set (2.5" maple bench).

He can't unless he wants to come north of the border. There are several items that LV sells in Canada only.

Steve
DJChurn said:

The 3-legged approach has given me food for thought. Sitting on one of these could possibly evolve into a Shaving Horse. That is possibly where I am heading.

Like that you color coordinated the saw handle. Unique touch.

Thanks for sharing.

Good opportunity to cross pollinate threads. Here's one built by Tim Manney, who's teaching the spoon carving class at Warren Wilson College. I already built the Drew Langsner version, but really like the three legged design of Tim's.

Steve
Steve Friedman said:

[blockquote]henrypig said:

He can't unless he wants to come north of the border. There are several items that LV sells in Canada only.

Steve

[/blockquote]

Right. Sorry - I wasn't aware. Joel - thanks for your agreement with LV - I've tried ordering from TFWW in the past but the shipping was prohibitive. GREAT product.
In Japan, there's probably a WoodNet equivalent where they're debating about Western chisels being a lot like Japanese plumbers. - AHill
A split top, like in Phil's second link, is a significant plus when ripping shorter and narrower stock. My first set of saw benches had solid tops, the second set one of them had a split top, that's not an accident.

I use a holddown on my saw bench, but I already had it. My saw bench top is not as thick as my bench so the holddown is more fool-proof.