Some past tool saves
Hi folks, I'm enjoying this forum (new for me!). Here are some past tools I saved:

#1 In which I found a NOS Atkins No. 400 "piano finish" rosewood saw tote, undrilled, unslotted, at an antique mall not far from the old Atkins factory. I fitted this tote to a nice Atkins blade; my brother has this saw now:

#2 A Fulton version of the Millers Falls No. 7 (size of Stanley No. 2). You can barely see it, but I laboriously cut a piece out of another base-casting and JB-welded it into a matching-contour I refined at the formerly broken front corner. I also made a new rear tote from Desert Ironwood, and took a nice cocobolo front knob from a Millers Falls parts-plane. This one sold on an auction last (don't worry, I never make any money):

Chris
Chris in Indy, we need to meet sometime! Nice saves.
Nice work on the old tools.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcomes!

Dustyrag, I will look forward to it... I've got to find some more time away from the office and the commuting.... anyone else have that problem?
Chris
Another old one I just found stored on my computer... I had some zebrawood at the time:

Chris
As you might gather from above, I *really* like the Fulton No. 2 size planes. The Millers-Falls-no.7 copy to me is the prettiest small plane. But now I've swooped up a Sargent-made Fulton, and since it had a missing rear tote, I'm taking the opportunity to make it more curvaceous.

Just started over the Holiday weekend.... rough shaping has begun. I'm using Bubinga for this, and I now realize that Veritas and Clifton have some pretty hard wood to work with in their shops!

Chris
Here's a bit of closure on the recent 407. This will be a user, so I've stopped short of totally redoing both handles. Mixed handles are fine in my shop.... too many other things to worry about!

Chris
This has been fun. The little Sargent-made Fulton 407 is working nicely. It's got a thicker casting than some of the other No.-2-size planes I'd come across. I had to get an adjuster-nut from a scrapped Sargent frog, and make the rear tote. The 1-5/8" blade itself had enough pitting that I put a bit of back-bevel on it to find an Edge. Now, with the chipbreaker set "tight," this plane is earning its keep! I'm restoring a beat-up Gerstner chest, and some of the QS White Oak pieces will tear out with my usual block-planes. This little 407 is doing quality work. The close-chipbreaker advice of recent years has let me pull the frog back to an open-mouth condition that lets the blade be better supported on the frog & base casting.

Chris