An Interview with Carl Bilderback
Thanks Slav...great interview...I liked that he mentioned Jay Ricketts and Don Rosebrook..Don had some great saws also..He passed away a couple of months ago.

We'll be praying for a complete recovery for Carl...I hope he stays optimistic..a positive attitude helps for sure....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

+1 on Carl-the-Class-Act.

Got to meet him at WIA2013 and chatted for just a few minutes. Nice guy and very enthusiastic about getting people interested in fixing up old tools.

Unfortunately didn't have lots of time to visit. Hoping he is around for a long while yet.

(Slav's a pretty good egg too.)
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
After getting away with a lot of pokes on Sawboy Jr. I admit he got me on that one. Look at that grin. Ok you got that one.

Cian said:

But I still have your sweater that I won off of you in the card game.

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.
Timberwolf said:

Thanks Slav...great interview...I liked that he mentioned Jay Ricketts and Don Rosebrook..Don had some great saws also..He passed away a couple of months ago.

We'll be praying for a complete recovery for Carl...I hope he stays optimistic..a positive attitude helps for sure....

Hi Jack, the editor cut around 45 minutes of film. He mentioned many more people and subjects.

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.
Quote:

Hi Jack, the editor cut around 45 minutes of film. He mentioned many more people and subjects.

Slav, I don't know if Phil Baker has seen that video but I'm going to try to send the link to him...He would enjoy seeing it I'm sure...I've see Phil's collection!
I'd just like to see what the editor cut out!!!

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Years ago, when I was first learning to saw, I went to a LN show at Jeff Miller's place in Chicago. I asked Chris Schwarz to critique my technique and as he did, Carl walked up to us and said something to me (I'd met him at Slav's). Chris instantly backed off and said I should listen to Carl.

When it comes to teaching, few have the self-confidence that Chris has and anybody who can get Chris to back off and be humbled like that has gotta be something special. (This, I thought, was an amazing show of respect from Chris. )

I'll jump on the pile about Carl being a good egg. Most don't know that he has also been the primary care-giver for his wife who has had serious health problems of her own. He's an amazing humanitarian and an encyclopedia of knowledge about saws.

Get well Carl.

With greatest respect,

Blaine
Quote:

Most don't know that he has also been the primary care-giver for his wife who has had serious health problems of her own.

Well, I would give him even more respect then....I have been down that road both times I was married..for five years with my second wife.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Blaine said:

I'll jump on the pile about Carl being a good egg. Most don't know that he has also been the primary care-giver for his wife who has had serious health problems of her own.

Carl's wife passed a couple of years ago and unfortunatley his son has the same condition. It seems too much for one man to bear but he does and in spite of it all he remains as positive and generous a person as you could ever hope to meet. He truly has a great soul.

I knew he had health issues but didn't know the extent, I'll have to give him a call or better yet go visit.

Thanks for posting this Slav.

John.
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
LIL

I've watched some of this on my computer but would rather watch is on my large flat screen in the rec room.

I have an Apple TV with a Vimeo channel but I'm having a hard time finding the video.

I've used the following search terms with no success:
Chris Schwarz
Christopher Schwarz
user30794742 (CWs user number/name on the site)
106684860 (the folder-filename on the site)
Carl Bilderback
Bilderback
Mr Wonderful
An Interview with ....

You get the idea.

I do not have, nor want, a Vimeo account.
I believe I have a Vimeo channel on the Blueray player and will check there as well in the event it is Apples Vimeo channel issue.

Do y'all have any other suggestions?
~Dan.
Slav

I never met Carl Bilderback but he sent me a small saw he said dated 1850 to 1860. It is a nice little saw that I practice with a lot.

He sure is a nice guy.

Also does anyone have his email address or phone # so I can call him and thank him?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.