Modifying my Mortise Pal
I have the older model Mortise Pal, and am getting ready to modify it to make it straddle wider work pieces. This requires 2 pieces of 3/8" rod about 5" or so long for the side peices. I know some of you guys have done this, what did you do about the thumb screw...just leave it as is? I guess if you found a longer thumb screw you also changed out the 1/4" rods on the moveable fence? I have rod stock for both the sides and fence, but haven't looked into the thumb screw part.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Years ago when I modified mine and did the tutorial here on WN, I did NOT change the clamping screw out. If yours is the original version then, on wider stock you can simply slide the back side out on the rods and lock it in place. Then when you want/need a narrow capacity just unlock and slide the side in on the rods.

I've got a picture somewhere...
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
That's what I was thinking...thanks!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If you guys have the time, id like to see a pic of what youre talking about.
I'll have to see if I can find the pics... I just remembered that I actually sold kits to make the modification.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group Password IBTP
Here is a link to a PDF of the modification that I archived. I don't recall who the original author was-Lumber Yard perhaps?

click link to download PDF
Woohoo Greg! ...yep the to first couple pages of the PDF was me.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group Password IBTP
Bump
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite