Sawing a perfect tenon.
I designed this guide about 4 or 5 years ago and offered it to Lee Valley, who looked into producing it. In the end, however, LV decided that they could not find a way to manufacture it cheaply enough as a commercial proposition. So finally I now have the design back and I am passing to the public to build for private use. I just hate to see a great design not get used.

Link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeToo...Guide.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
That's pretty neat, Derek. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Derek, my project for the coming week.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

Clever tool, Derek and very well described and demonstrated.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
Derek,

That is perfect.

I'll be making one.

Thanks for posting!
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Other than a shooting board and bench hook, this may be the 1st shop built tool I attempt. Thank you.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Looks very much like this one from Popular Woodworking magazine a few years ago. I built one but decided it was too much like machine woodworking, with all the fiddling and setup; so I used it on only one project.
Mike Brady said:

Looks very much like this one from Popular Woodworking magazine a few years ago. I built one but decided it was too much like machine woodworking, with all the fiddling and setup; so I used it on only one project.

As much as I like and appreciate Derek, looks to me as if it would be easier to learn how to saw a straight line than use a jig and clamp to make a tenon.

Pam
Mike Brady said:

Hi Mike

They are very different. I recall when Jeff Miller brought out his jig - LV already had my design for a couple of years and I was curious if anyone would develop something similar in the meantime.

Jeff's jig looks like it is designed for production work only. It uses a template to measure and saw the tenon width. It appears to be a fixed width (unless he has other templates). The jig only saws the cheeks. A separate guide is used to saw the shoulders.

As you found, the nature of Jeff's jig will make you feel separate from the work piece. It is closer to a sawing machine. It is a very good jig for production work.

The guide I designed is closer to sawing the real thing. It can vary the spacings infinitely. Still, one can do production sawing on it: Set the guide to saw one cut, and replace the stretcher once a saw cut is made. Progress through the stretchers, in turn, one cut at a time.

Peter Evan (on Wood Central) suggested that it would be helpful in sawing out the mortices for saw handles.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
pampine said:

[blockquote]Mike Brady said:

As much as I like and appreciate Derek, looks to me as if it would be easier to learn how to saw a straight line than use a jig and clamp to make a tenon.

Pam

[/blockquote]

Pam, you will not get any disagreement from me. Learning to saw straight is definitely preferred. Some cannot do so, for a number of reasons, one simply being limited coordination and/or hand strength. Another may be confidence - and I would hope that they would obtain the muscle memory and confidence from a guide such as this (in the same way that many have done so using the LV dovetail guide).

Regards from Perth

Derek