Whos done mortises on a router table
I do my mortises on my router table. I set the bit hieght slowly plunge and route it out using stops to get precise sizes. Anyone else do this? Tips? Tricks? Im aiming at getting the mortise pay soon.
I've done a few that way, but found it awkward at best and it felt potentially dangerous. I also found the bit changed position slightly every time I raised up the router, so the resultant mortise had little steps in it which is not good. So I built a horizontal router mortiser for about $50. I've cut hundreds of mortises with it over the past 3 years. Fast, safe, accurate and repeatable. And it does a whole lot more than just mortises, too. You can spend money on some commercial jig or machine but there's really no need.

John
I have a regular router table (a real POS Skill) and a horizontal table which I use for mortises a Woodhaven 6004 Horizontal Router Table & 4.2" Angle-Ease . It was pricy but it is great for mortises, dadoes, tongue and groove, etc.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I made this jig for my router. Works real well.

http://books.google.com/books?id=4Xf9FSm...jig&f=false
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Done it many times w/o issue. I don't like doing mortises with a hand held router. I have tried that after watching Norm - just don't like it. I do most on my mortising machine now.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Looks like a great machine. I would seriously like to see a pic of one in your shop before I ruminate much further on a commercial version.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
cputnam said:

Looks like a great machine. I would seriously like to see a pic of one in your shop before I ruminate much further on a commercial version.

Yeah, maybe JR1 could do a video of him knocking out a M&T frame so we could all see why we would pay that kinda money for a Ho Made tool with a tilt feature. I don't know about you Curt, but I find myself needing to make angled M&T's almost every 5 minutes when in the shop
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
The Mortise Pal is a real piece of work, nicely made and very easy to use. I love mine, but honestly a good shop built one works.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Sometimes you might need something a little more involved, to get the accuracy required - but this depends on *your* needs. Not done on a router table, but on a table of sorts:

Al
Blog: Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Frank Klausz, to The Schwarz (WIA 2010): "...If YOU guys keep doing what you’re doing, this thing is not gonna die..."
Sandal Woods said:

Sometimes you might need something a little more involved, to get the accuracy required - but this depends on *your* needs. Not done on a router table, but on a table of sorts:

Al

Al when you post Leigh tools online how much does Mr Grizzly send your way?

I can tell ya, when I talk about what kickback I get when I mention any tool, especially Ho Made tools, it is ZERO. Just wondering how much ya get?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW