Yet another belt sharpener...
Built with just a few simple tools and inexpensive materials...and lots of desire....I think Mark did a fine job building this hand tool sharpener, especially true when all he had to go by was a few pictures and no measurements or prints..Good job, Mark!!!!

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...mp;sb=5&o=7
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Still on my short list. I have most of the parts. Will be taking pics along the way too.

Thanks for the re-post Jack and thanks to CLETUS for the original post. Very cool...
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
"Git 'er done" Mark...you'll love the speed and the horizontal belt, for sure!!

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks for bringing that up here Jack. I never go to the off topic so would have missed it.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
But you miss such good stuff in the Basement...

" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Thanks Jack, I did happen to see it, he did a nice job and this is on my short list also.

Steve

Sorry... forgot some folks cant see the basement.

Thanks guys.

CLETUS said:

I happened to wander into handtools awhile back and Jack was talking about a horizontal belt sander he was designing. All I had to do was mention that was on my to-do list and Jack fired off his prototype and second generation pics.

I didn't have access to some of the size material that Jack had... So bought what I could, sat down with some beers and got to planning.

2" angle iron.
1" bar stock
1/4" nuts and bolts <---- only because I had a 1/4" tap.
Drive pulley white oak.
Idler pulley is a serpentine belt idler.

Thanks to Jack for the original idea and being more than happy to answer any questions I had. This grinder will always be known as "The Timberwolf"

Questions, comments, thoughts, concerns?

I'd be happy to take measurements or closer pics, if anyone is interested.

Oh yeah, no special tooling needed. Drill press, hand drill, chop saw, dremel. I'll even include a pic of me turning the drive wheel using a 1/4" wood chisel.

Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I just noticed in the bottom picture, you are using the motor as a lathe {like we discussed} and turning the drive wheel without using a tool rest....when I do that, I just rest the lathe tool on a block of scrap wood that is high enough to act as a fulcrum for the tool...makes it easier for me to control...

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Timberwolf said:

makes it easier for me to control...

Wish I would have thought of that! I'm going to re-do the crown, I'll try using a tool rest.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15