Yet another belt sharpener...
Got any pointers to a tool rest for a Delta 1 x 42" ? I'm really interested in one for woodworking tools, but a knife rest would useful too.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
OK... Mounting the tool rest to the superstructure won't work using this idler pulley. I think it would work if you used Jack's pulley arrangement. There is room to mount it on the platen itself.

Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

You might possibly be able to make a tool rest using blocks of hard wood cut on the desired angle and held in position using earth magnets embedded in the base...Provided the table on the Delta is steel...Another alternative could be an auxiliary plywood table that can be fastened to the existing table, and would have an angular block tool rest that rides in a dado in the aux. table..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Can you mount a tool rest to the plywood base that would permit a hollow grind on the idler wheel? You could glue on two strips of hard wood to the base to act as a guide for the wooden tool holder.

It may also be possible to mount the tool rest alongside the superstructure and grind the tool "edgewise" on the platen, the way Karl Holtey grinds and sharpens his plane blades. That way you would have a flat bevel.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Timberwolf said:

Can you mount a tool rest to the plywood base that would permit a hollow grind on the idler wheel? You could glue on two strips of hard wood to the base to act as a guide for the wooden tool holder.

It may also be possible to mount the tool rest alongside the superstructure and grind the tool "edgewise" on the platen, the way Karl Holtey grinds and sharpens his plane blades. That way you would have a flat bevel.

Can you post a pic? I'm sure I can figure out something. I'm having a hard time picturing what you want to accomplish.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I don't have a picture...I'm just brainstorming..I'll see if I can draw a sketch of it, then take a picture of the sketch and PM it to you...Some of these ideas are hard to describe to others using just words..

Get off my lawn !
Upset

All,

I've volunteered to turn Jack's most excellent design into drawings and instructions that will be made available for all.

We have these dimensions/photos that were posted in the basement by CLETUS:

I'll start putting this togther and post the progress here.

I've started looking around and found this idler on Amazon for $10:

It's 70mm in diameter (2.75") so it's close to Mark's dimensions.

I'll order one and start putting this together.

Happy Thanksgiving!
chris
Thanks Chris. I was thinking while I was walking the dog this morning I'd talk to Cletus and Jack about doing exactly what you are doing.
Excellent!!!! Thank you Chris...it will be very helpful to those who may want to build one for themselves!!!!

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Okay, time for the "silly questions"

Why the cut out in the platen?

Thanks
chris